Help With PO Wiring Decisions

dennisonwj

I really need some pros and cons from the Jeepers about some of the things the PO did on my 1988 YJ. It has an I6 (258) Jasper motor with an AX-15 transmission. It is presently fitted with a Weber 34DGEC but I am replacing that with an MC2150 soon. The carb. has an electric choke presently. I recently "nuttered" the jeep and removed the computer and all unnecessary wires. It starts and runs so much better now.

When the PO got the Jasper installed, it seems that the shop did not put the T-fitting back in the block that the Oil Pressure Sending unit and the Oil Pressure Switch (aka Electric Choke Switch) connect to. In the hole in the block there is ONLY an Oil pressure Sending Unit. The Electric Choke Switch connector (two or three prong) is dangling, it has an Orange wire (constant power) and a blue w/white trace wire attached to it. The blue w/ white trace wire goes to the manifold heater relay mounted on the side of the battery tray.

Also, the electric choke is wired directly to the yellow wire bundle (switched power) instead of spliced with the blue w/ white trace wire between the electric choke switch and the manifold heater relay.

It seems that right now, since the electric choke switch is NOT plugged in, the manifold heater switch and manifold heater are NOT operational. Is this correct? Or is the electric choke switch not being connected mean the manifold heater switch and manifold heater are ALWAYS operational?

I am in Maryland, is the manifold heater really necessary at all? Can I remove the electric choke switch, the manifold heater relay, the manifold heater switch, the manifold heater, and all the wiring? What is the Pros and Cons of this. BTW, this Jeep is with me until it or I die.

One more, I notice from the wiring diagram that the electric choke switch ties into the Idle Speed-Up Relay. I have severed the brown wire from the ECM to the Idle Speed-Up Relay when I removed the computer. Can I also remove the Idle Speed-Up Relay? Or is it somehow necessary for the Ignition Switch?

Thanks for all you help, almost done with all the electrics.

I think the idle speed up relay is mainly used for air conditioning. It kicks on when the compressor is running.
If you still use AC you may want it. Else yank it out....
Good luck.

Back