axle u-joints on my '05 TJ

prariepunk

My u-joints are shot & I need to replace them... but I'm not sure what it's gonna take. I've got basic hand tools/no air tools :-( just trying to get an idea if I can do this in a few hours or will it take longer.

It'll take a little longer. The wheel bearing assembly (hub) is difficult to remove from the steering knuckle if it's never been removed in the past. Be sure you have a 12pt. 13mm socket to remove the three bolts holding the hub to the knuckle. I find it easiest to back the bolts out 1/8" at a time, cover the bolt head with a socket, and tap the bolt head flush with the knuckle. This will force the hub from the knuckle 1/8" at a time.

You'll need a press or ujoint tool to replace the ujoints, or if you're old school, a socket and BFH. Or take the axleshafts to a local shop to have new ujoints installed.

Are you replacing the driveshaft ujoints or axle ujoints? If axle ujoints, as said above, it will take a little longer than a couple hours, plan a day to be safe. If your doing the driveshaft ujoints then you can do them in less than a couple hours. I use a socket that's just a hair smaller than the ujoint cap, placing the driveshaft on a block of wood and hitting the socket to drive the opposite ujoint cap out, it will take a few hard hits with a BIG hammer to get it started.

Back