Is there a way to determine the actual date my CJ was manufactured??

Chasinmendo

Hi, I have a new (to me) CJ5 that is a 1976 model. There are some smog issues and this being California CARB requires that all vehicles manufactured from 1976 year on have to have a whole bunch of SMOG stuff in fully operational condition. The registration shows that the vehicle was first registered in California in 1979 and if it was an out of State vehicle I can get an exemption. I checked with CarFax and they do not have records that old. So I was hopin to find out the manufacture date and possibly the dealer who sold it originally. Even though it is a model year 1976, it may have been manufactured in the Fall of 1975 which would exempt it. Or if I can find who sold it first then I can exempt it. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the URL, that is a very handy tool to have! Now is there a way to find out the Dealer who originally sold the vehicle?

just jeep. you will have to call them but their records passed the mid 80s are very bad

Yes your VIN will tell you the month/day/year it was built. If that fails I would take your title to a jeep dealer and explain it was out of state and you need to know which and what dealer. Surely they could get that info for you. I had a 76 and I don't remember any smog stuff on it, but that was many years ago. good luck

Yes your VIN will tell you the month/day/year it was built. If that fails I would take your title to a jeep dealer and explain it was out of state and you need to know which and what dealer. Surely they could get that info for you. I had a 76 and I don't remember any smog stuff on it, but that was many years ago. good luck

Thanks but the VIN uber only gives you the model year. My dealer is totally worthless, I have a hard time getting parts through them :), I believe I have the issue under control and you are right the SMOG label indicates that there is only an EGR valve and nothing else. Thanks for your help!

Glad you think you got figured out. On the VIN, there is a decoder that SHOULD tell you what the numbers stand for in your VIN. You can google it, I think you can even find out the original color of the jeep that way too.

Glad you think you got figured out. On the VIN, there is a decoder that SHOULD tell you what the numbers stand for in your VIN. You can google it, I think you can even find out the original color of the jeep that way too.

thank you for responding to my question. Yes, but I knew about the VIN number well before I asked the question. This is 9th jeep I've owned and while the VIN number does give you a lot of information it only gives you the model year not the actual day, month and year the vehicle was maufactured. Yes the color is included as is the accessory equipment it was made with. The reason I asked the question is because not only was I not able to get the information I wanted (Day, Month, Year)from the State motor vehicle department but I was not able to get it from the maufcturer either. I didn't know if the knowledgabel people on this site knew of an area that gave the dates by blocks of serial numbers (the 6 digit number at the end of the VIN), so yes, II do believe I have it handled.

If the motor is original, you can get info on different sections of the motor of their date codes but they won't help with the jeep build date. The closest I have been able to get mine is from the doors because they are original. The dealer info wasn't even good enough for the d/m/y info

You are correct about the VIN info, sorry about that. I was thinking engine ID number which will give day, month, year, but only for the engine.

Back