Engine Tag decoder

johnglamb

I am still having some trouble getting an actual build date for my 1992 MJ Comanche, Cos the VIN doesn't quite stack up correctly and gets thrown out by most online VIN decoders due to the 9th and 10th letters being incorrect. The VIN Number is shown below, the X is the check digit and corrects the algorithm, X = 7 and should be 5 (choice of three letters) and P indicates a 1993 build, and there were no MJs built in 1993, cos the model was pulled in favor of the Dodge Laredo.
I have a few pics from the engine bay which indicate that the engine was built on the 127th day (7th May) 1992, we also have evidence from Chrysler de Venezuela that the four seat conversion was finished on the 24th May 1993 and the invoice no 48583 was raised when the pickup was sold on the 29th September 1993, apart from that we don't know much. I don't suppose the tag pics can be deciphered by anyone to throw more light on the build of this vehicle. To be fair Chrysler have done as much as they can to illuminate me, but Fiat don't care to much about 20 year old archives, and why should they.

GKj9DoLl.jpg

4esmRT5l.jpg

knlAnc9l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Usually anything built in June or after goes to the next year so the 10th letter is right 93

Only way to know the true year of a vehicle is by the 10th letter or digit even though the sticker says 92 the vin indicate it is in fact a 93

Back