Noise in front of enginr

jock

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 5 speed 2.5 liter 4 cylinder . On my way to work heard a noise( tack-tack-tack). Coming from the front of the engine compartment. Very lite at first but got a little louder. After work I done a check on the belts for tension and seemed ok. Started it up and the noise was a little louder. I couldn't tell if it was coming from front of engine or to my left a little which sets the alternator above the water pump. So I tried to drive it home and after about 5 miles(which it got louder as I went) I heard a small thud then aloud clunk. The engine died but didn't sieze up as I coasted about 30 feet before I went to nutural. When it was going on the flatbed there was no oil or other fluids on the ground where it sat or under the jeep. Not very educated about vehicles but if I blew the engine wouldn't there be fluid? Or maybe could be timing belt? Just wondering what is your thoughts . Thanks for your time.

Welcome to Jeepz.com Jock.
I'd start with the easy stuff - check the oil level first. Then go on to check all the fluids.

Did you have it towed to a shop, or are you going to poke at it yourself first?

Does the engine turn at all when you turn the key? What do you hear??

2x check the oil level.

Is there milkshake in there or under the oil fill cap?
Check the radiator fluid level. Is the oil in the water??
Chock the tires and put in park or neutral.
Remove the spark plugs and manually turn the engine using a breaker bar. Does it move?

Back