tj rear vibration.

69jeepcj

A friends brother just got a 2000 tj 4cyl which he says has a 6inch lift not sure of tire size, probably 33-35". I haven't seen it yet, but he says it has a bad vibration from the rear when you accelerate. It does have a tcase drop, and I think adjustable control arms as my friend said he can adjust the suspension at each corner, (he just thought that was so cool, lol). where do I begin to look for this issue? I was thinking SYE kit would be a possible fix?? As I said, I haven't even seen the jeep yet so im just going by what my friend told me about it. Thanks for any insight

If it doesn't have a sye yet that'll be where to start

Make sure the rear axle pinion is parallel with the transfer case output if no SYE is instslled.

The front pinion angle will be a compromise between being in line with the driveshaft and having correct caster.

If pinion angles are off do the adjustable control arms change that? Do you think a SYE could cure it if the angles cant be corrected with the control arms? Hate asking these questions, but I really know nothing about the coil spring, 4link set ups. Thanks

JPNinPA, was there a link that went with the "Without SYE"? and thanks for the other link. I got to see the jeep yesterday, its pretty nice. He does have adjustable lower arms but I cant remember if there were upper adjustables or not. He has never had a jeep before and said he absolutely loves that thing, so I want to try and solve this issue so maybe he will keep it and I will have a jeepin buddy, lol. Oh, there is not a SYE on the jeep now

JPNinPA, was there a link that went with the "Without SYE"? and thanks for the other link. I got to see the jeep yesterday, its pretty nice. He does have adjustable lower arms but I cant remember if there were upper adjustables or not. He has never had a jeep before and said he absolutely loves that thing, so I want to try and solve this issue so maybe he will keep it and I will have a jeepin buddy, lol. Oh, there is not a SYE on the jeep now

Updated with video. I thought I had another link from stu or someone else off a forum but I can't find it. If you had a engine mount lift and skid plate drop with a thin trans mount this would change the transfer case angle giving a bit more adjustment. IIRC four or more inches of lift a SYE is definitely needed mostly to eliminate dropping the drive shaft when the suspension flexes.

Do you need a new driveshaft with the SYE, we were talking yesterday and he wondered about that. Thanks!

Look under the local jeep boards. There are a few but posts appear older. Still some may be lurking without posting.

Back