CJ-7 Jeep Won't Start (or turn over)

Foxracer77

Just finished a frame up restoration of my 1979 CJ-7. I've wired it back up and put a new battery in. When I turn the key one position the volt meter on the dash reads fine. When I go to turn the key all the way to start the Jeep the voltage drops to zero and nothing happens. Doesn't turn over. Doesn't make a sound.

I've jumped the solenoid (which is new also) and the jeep turns over.

I've checked all wiring and there does not seem to be any issues.

Not sure what to do next?

Thanks for your help all!

Have the starter tested If the battery is new. It sounds like a short in the ign system.

Sounds to me like the ignition switch is wired wrong. Sounds like you have power in run position but not the start position. IIRC there should be a wire from the ignition switch down to your starter and should get 12V when you start the jeep. Do a check to see if you have volts at the starter wire when you try to start it.

Sounds to me like the ignition switch is wired wrong. Sounds like you have power in run position but not the start position. IIRC there should be a wire from the ignition switch down to your starter and should get 12V when you start the jeep. Do a check to see if you have volts at the starter wire when you try to start it.

Agree and Just to add:
If there is a short anywhere from the key side to the starter solenoid the voltage at the solenoid will read zero.

Why does my gas cut out when I push on the peddle like I'm running outta gas but I know I'm not or like there's air bubbles. Happens once a week. Help??

what year cj? areas I would start looking at would be, fuel filters (certain year cj,s had a additional filter where the gas line screws into the carb), fuel pump, clogged gas tank fuel pickup. If you have a stock metal gas tank, they tend to rust from the inside out clogging the screen in the fuel pickup.

Foxracer:: I reread your post today and if it was not the ignition switch wired wrong, then I think it is your solenoid. you stated that you jumped the solenoid and it would start.

Could you check fuel pressure? From there filter and timing.

Back