Replaced gas cap, Now spuddering

rondasrimshot

I have a 91 Jeep Wrangler. Yesterday We replaced the gas cap. it was low on fuel, so I drove it to town today to fill her up. On the way I noticed it started spudering and acting like it WAS out of gas. I filled it up and the spudering continued. Do I need to change the fuel filter? Or is it maybe something more serious? Thanks In advance.

Not sure if the fuel cap is vented or non vented on your jeep but it will make a difference. As for the question of whether to replace the fuel filter or not, I'd say do it to eliminate it from one of the many possible causes for sputtering. When you pull the old filter off, tap it on a clean cloth and see if there's a lot of rust accumulated in the filter.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

Not sure if the fuel cap is vented or non vented on your jeep but it will make a difference. As for the question of whether to replace the fuel filter or not, I'd say do it to eliminate it from one of the many possible causes for sputtering. When you pull the old filter off, tap it on a clean cloth and see if there's a lot of rust accumulated in the filter.

It has a button on the new cap but our old one, the original from 1991 did not have this button

A button? What is it for?. I know of locking fuel caps but never seen one with a button.

It could be bad gas as well.

When sputtering remove the gas cap and see if it stops.
Add some dry gas or cleaner like dextron.

Last edited:
Back