Unresponsive gauges

bigschrec

So my gauges stopped working today. They fall to zero and don't read anything. Every now then I'll hit a bump and it'll start working again but shortly freeze up and fall. What is causing this? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

being that you hit a bump and they come back on, I'd put my money on electrical issues. You may just have to try poking around until you can find the wires that have a short (i.e. moving the wires until the gauges come back).

I read about someone unplugging the 3 connectors in the PCM then plugging them back in and it works. Maybe I'll try that or look for a shorted fuse

Bad BUS connection where the gauge cluster plugs into the wiring harness. Usually a good whack on top of the dash will bring back the gauges temporarily.

A more permanent fix is to remove the gauge cluster, bend the tabs slightly for a better connection, then reassemble using dialectic grease inside the connection. Secure BUS connector with zip ties.

I believe a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) has been issued for this problem.

So you don't think that it is a bad or loose PCM/ECM? I'll take the cluster off tomorrow and give it a look. I hope it's nothing expensive lol

No, I don't. It's a common problem with that model Jeep. It's not expensive to do yourself. Or you can always pay to have it done.

NO: 08-15-99
SUBJECT: Erratic, Intermittent Cluster Operation/Intermittent Air Bag Warning light.
DATE: May 21, 1999
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER 08-20-98 REV. A, DATED OCTOBER 2, 1998, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE BOUND TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN BOOK, PUBLICATION NUMBER 81-699-99003. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION TO THE PROCEDURE.

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a repair harness containing a revised instrument cluster connector.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent illumination of the air bag warning light or an intermittent tachometer or speedometer drop out. An Airbag Electronic Control Module (AECM) fault code -"No Cluster CCD BUS " message will be present.

Well I took the cluster off today and put a fair amount of dialectic grease on the inlets and outlets of the plugs and it seems to be working pretty good. Not sure how long it'll last though

Back