Flat tow my Jeep

Transmission in gear, transfer case in neutral. Key in ignition and turned to unlock steering wheel, but not to accessory.

Be sure the tow bar is angled downward slightly from the Jeep to the tow rig.

What bounty hunter said, plus stop & run the engine every couple hundred miles to circulate the transfer case oil.

What bounty hunter said, plus stop & run the engine every couple hundred miles to circulate the transfer case oil.
Unnecessary, the transfer case pump is on the main shaft and fluid is circulated as the driveshaft turns.

And running the engine in park or neutral, without driving, does nothing to circulate the transfer case fluid. The vehicle has to be in motion to drive the transfer case pump.

Last edited:
Sounds good. So I'm clear, put it in first gear or any gear?
Manual transmission in any gear, automatic in park. Reason is, you will burn up the transmission if it's left in neutral and turned by the rest of the drivetrain. This info is also in the owner's manual.

Why do you want the tow bar slightly angled down from the Jeep to the tow rig? I have mine setup strait atm.

Thanks,

Bacon

During braking it will provide slight downward force on the rear of the tow vehicle, improving handling and braking. I've towed several ways and it makes a difference.

Back