Replaced Fan Clutch now won't start

Desert Jeepster

Hi I have a 1988 Jeep Wrangler 4 cyl I've been working on for awhile. Finally got it running, just replaced the fan clutch and flushed the coolant system, now it won't start. No spark so I replaced the coil, still wouldn't start so I replaced the ICM still won't start. Any thoughts?

Thx
Desert Jeepster

Are you getting spark after coil swap?You're getting power through the ignition,coil,icm,plug wires,fuses? Is it rolling over when you try to start? Temp sensor is an idea, (because you were dealing with coolant system) sometimes can causes hard or no start. Does with my dsm anyway. Are you drawing any codes?

Are you getting spark after coil swap?You're getting power through the ignition,coil,icm,plug wires,fuses? Is it rolling over when you try to start? Temp sensor is an idea, (because you were dealing with coolant system) sometimes can causes hard or no start. Does with my dsm anyway. Are you drawing any codes?

Thx for the response. No spark changed coil and ICM still no spark. Turns over easily. No codes. Will check temp sensor tomorrow. Thx again

Desert Jeepster

Old wiring in an old jeep, I would maybe inspect wiring/ harness/contacts as well. Maybe you'll notice something loose. Are you getting power to/from either side of coil? And if you are, power through plug wires? And check plug wires for continuity too

Last edited:

Agree with DrewBuddy with old wiring and thorough inspection but just odd that the jeep quit after a coolant flush . Suspicious , but more likely coincidental. Rather than tell us the past history of what was done to get the jeep running again , let's cut to the chase . Along the way , try to think of anything that may be part of the equation in regards to prior work performed. Ok , we know there is no spark . We'll get to fuel later as we'll need to check TBI injector wiring plug for signal from ecm . That is for later if need be , but for now , let's deal with ignition.
Some things to check ; pick up coil in distributor ( providing its an HEI unit) oil pressure sending unit switch harness . The small gauge wiring gets brittle inside distributor from pick up coil to ignition control module and will cause no signal therefore no spark. The oil pressure sending unit is a safety item as well as a gauge sender . It will cut out the fuel pump if the engine does not start and when engine stalls . This is to prevent fuel from continuously reaching engine compartment in the event of a collision. The oil pressure switch wiring is important but I'm leaning more toward the pick up coil and its wiring first. If the pick up coil dosen't put out a spark to the ICM , the ignition coil will never make spark. Either that distributor's got a pick up,coil,or a Hall effect switch but if that part or its wiring to ICM failed , that's a no spark/ no start.
Start with inspection as DrewBuddy posted since most faults and fixes are found right there and helps to speed up repair . Heck , you might even find a worn vacuum line while your at it. All these little things help. But yes , inspection . Must find why there is no spark before proceeding. The oil pressure switch wiring will cut fuel but not spark. We'll deal with that later if need be.

Back