Coolent leak

mkbakker

Replaced my thermostat yesterday, now I have a leak. I pulled it back off and noticed that I do not have a even indentation in the gasket. I dried out the gasket since it was new and tomorrow I will put on some gasket sealer. Is there anything else I should do.

I agree that the thermostat housing gasket should be sealed , leak or not. It is an area where pressure is always present and precaution should be taken. Always be certain that the thermostat is properly seated when putting on the housing . On an in line engine , it is easy for the thermostat to slip out of place if we aren't careful when putting the housing back on. Once the reassembly is complete , I find that elevating the front of the jeep ( in my case an in line engine ) helps to move air pockets forward toward the radiator to "burp" the engine of air in the cooling system. Air pockets in the engine prevent proper circulation of coolant and cause overheating. Begin by squeezing the lower hose vigorously to move coolant into the engine and follow with squeezing the upper to circulate coolant back to the radiator to help bring any air pockets out of the system through the open radiator with the cap off. Stat the engine with the heater control valve open to circulate coolant through the heater core . As the engine warms up , the level in the radiator will rise . Replace radiator cap to prevent overflow. Maintain overflow bottle level and let radiator draw from overflow bottle. Keep engine running with heater control valve open with front elevated . Watch overflow level and temperature gauge as well. When you are satisfied that temperature and level are stable , you can shut down the engine and get the jeep off the ramps or Jack stands . Check for leaks through this entire process . Correct any of found.
P.S.- be absolutely certain the gasket is on correctly since it may be directional involving a bypass such as in an in line engine.

Not to sound mean but did you install the thermo in the correct direction? Also the thermo can shift out of the pocket while reinstalling the housing. Personally I use some gasket prep on a clean and dry surface of the engine to hold the thermo and gasket in place while the housing is reinstalled. Let the prep dry for 15 min prior to installing the housing and for a 1/2 hour after install and before adding coolant.

Last edited:

Thermostat is no longer leaking, now I gave a small leak coming out of one of the bolts of the water pump housing, do I have to take everything apart again or is the a quick fix. I gave been told to throw away the gaskets and rtf the pump. Any thoughts

As JPNinPA mentioned, if the water pump is leaking out a small hole on the pump it is gone!! You need a new one or you will overheat

It's a brand new pump, it's a very tiny leak through the screw hole. Might have to take the whole thing apart and rtf the crap out of it.

It's a brand new pump, it's a very tiny leak through the screw hole. Might have to take the whole thing apart and rtf the crap out of it.
If your sure the gasket is holding up , don't upset it's seal . Try a thread sealer on the bolt in question . It should be a lot simpler to remove the bolt in question and add sealer to its thread than to remove the entire pump and belts and further disassembly . Sorry my post is late , hope you did not tear into it yet !

Had a close look at it yesterday and it looks like it's coming out of the edge right above the screw. It seams the gasket is not holding it. Tomorrow I'm taking it all apart again and start over, I have new gasket material and RTV.

The surface of the thermostat housing must be scrupulously clean. If there is any residue from the previous gasket material the coolant will find a way to escape. X2 that if the leak is out of the weep hole then the water pump will need replacing. Not a bad idea anyway if you can afford it and are going to tear things apart again. Great source for parts is WeRMopar.com. That's where I bought my radiator, water pump, hoses, gaskets, thermostat housing, etc. Very pleased.

We are leak free, I have come to the conclusion you cannot use RTV and gasket together, use one or the other. I end up getting thicker gasket paper and used it by itself. Succes.

I agree strongly with you . It is my preference to use a gasket whenever available and preferably with a gasket sealer . If there is the possibility that RTV can seep into a system and cause problems , I'm against using it. In this case , you would be concerned with silicone excess causing clogs in the radiator , heater core , thermostat or the water pump. Good job.

Back