Trusted local chain garage or Dealer for following maintenance

laredo2006

Hello,

For a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7, which of the following maintenance repairs can be done at a trusted big local chain garage instead of the dealer which charges almost double or more?

1. Engine Oil and Filter (Mopar at Dealer vs Castrol at chain)
2. Brake caliper pin lubrication
3. Inspection of brake linings
4. PCV valve change
5. Axles (Differentials), front and rear oil change
6. Parking brake, what does that mean? What do they check?

Thanks!

With a 2006, I'd guess that you're out of warranty, so there's probably no need to have any of it done at the dealership.

1. Anywhere would be fine. The important thing is to replace the fluid ontime - what brand you use is secondary.
2. I'm not familiar with this, so can't comment.
3. Brake inspection can be done by anyone (it's part of the state inspection here in VA)
4. Anyone can do this, just get a new one from your the dealer - it should just screw on.
5. You should be able to get this done anywhere. If you have a locker, or something aftermarket, then you'll need to let them know before.
6. Part of the brake inspection. You have brake shoes specifically for the parking brake that need to be changed periodically. Here's a diagram

parking_brake_01.jpg

Hi for differential and transfer case fluid changes, is it better I buy the fluids from the dealer and bring it to the garage? They told me I don't need too...?

Transfer Case:

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Mopar® ATF+4, type 9602
(p/n 05013457AA quart MSRP $8.75)
or
(p/n 05013458AA gallon MSRP $34.15)
(***Usage of other fluids/lubricants is not recommended***)
Transfer case drain plug torque: 15-25 ft. lbs/20-34 N·m

Differentials:

All models, all axles:

Mopar® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic (API-GL5)
Mopar p/n 04874469 (MSRP $33.50 per quart)

[SIZE=-1]Electronic axle notes:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Electronic (ELSD) axles require 118 ml (4 ounces) of Limited Slip Additive be added to the lubricant. (Mopar additive p/n 04318060AB $10.50 MSRP 4 oz. bottle)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]ELSD axles are standard with Quadra-Drive II.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SRT8 axles DO NOT require Limited Slip Additive.[/SIZE]

Axle cover bolt torque: Front and rear axle drain plug torque: 44 ft. lbs/60 N·m
Front axle cover bolts: 41 ft. lbs/56 N·m
Rear axle cover bolts: 30 ft. lbs/41 N·m

Hi for differential and transfer case fluid changes, is it better I buy the fluids from the dealer and bring it to the garage? They told me I don't need too...?

Transfer Case:

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Mopar® ATF+4, type 9602
(p/n 05013457AA quart MSRP $8.75)
or
(p/n 05013458AA gallon MSRP $34.15)
(***Usage of other fluids/lubricants is not recommended***)
Transfer case drain plug torque: 15-25 ft. lbs/20-34 N·m

Differentials:

All models, all axles:

Mopar® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic (API-GL5)
Mopar p/n 04874469 (MSRP $33.50 per quart)

[SIZE=-1]Electronic axle notes:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Electronic (ELSD) axles require 118 ml (4 ounces) of Limited Slip Additive be added to the lubricant. (Mopar additive p/n 04318060AB $10.50 MSRP 4 oz. bottle)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]ELSD axles are standard with Quadra-Drive II.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SRT8 axles DO NOT require Limited Slip Additive.[/SIZE]

Axle cover bolt torque: Front and rear axle drain plug torque: 44 ft. lbs/60 N·m
Front axle cover bolts: 41 ft. lbs/56 N·m
Rear axle cover bolts: 30 ft. lbs/41 N·m

I would have you go to the dealer for rears and differentials. Those are very finicky and are better off so theres no problems

Back