6 cylinder wrangler toweing capacity

Gennybro

Would the 6 cylinder wrangler have any problems towing an 18 foot long camper weighing 3000 lbs?

OK, I spelled towing wrong and cann't change it, your dealing with the handicapped here.

Would the 6 cylinder wrangler have any problems towing an 18 foot long camper weighing 3000 lbs? OK, I spelled towing wrong and cann't change it, your dealing with the handicapped here.
Yes! The wheelbase limits the towing capacity. The limit us 2000lbs. The unlimited is 3500 lb limit. I'd put breaks on the trailer if over 3000 lbs

What year Wrangler? What's the Owner's Manual say?

If I recall, the TJ has towing capacities of #3500 with manual transmission and #2500 automatic.

With a camper and such a small tow rig you'll also have to watch the frontal area limits. Too big of a sail behind the Wrangler and the tail will wag the dog.

All I saw on the eTrailer site: "Jeep Wranglers tend to have a towing capacity of 3,500 to 4,000 lbs"

And if you can believe anything on Wikipedia: "This model of the Jeep Wrangler has nearly double the towing capacity of its shorter wheelbase sibling, partly due to the increased wheelbase. (3500 lbs LJ vs 2000 lbs TJ)"

Is your trailer's weight "dry weight", meaning what it weighs empty? You need to consider total weight, when it has a full load of water, gear, food, equipment, clothing, etc., when determining towing capacity. IMO, you'd be severely pushing a Wrangler's limits to the point of the rig being dangerous. And, you'd definitely need brakes on that trailer. I'd opt for a pick-up; a half ton PU can usually handle at least 6500 lb tow weights. Just because a vehicle may pull a load under ideal conditions, doesn't mean it will handle it in emergency conditions or panic stops or even when your tooling down the interstate and getting blown around by semi's blowing past you.

Back