2000 TJ sputters while driving when cold

GAjeepGirl85

I have a 2000 TJ, 4 cyl., manual with 170k miles on it.

It recently started having an issue. When I drive it into work in the morning, sometimes it will sputter when I am giving it gas. It feels like its running out of gas? It starts up fine, idles fine, no check engine light or other indications. It doesn't happen every day, problem goes away after driving for about 5 minutes. Jeep will run fine the rest of the day. I live in Georgia so its not cold out in the mornings. I was thinking it may be the fuel filter, but was hoping someone else may have had the same problem or have some insight?

Sounds like an upstream O2 sensor. If you replace them use NTK or OEM others cause more issues or fail earlier. You could get them checked to determine what one. Or both.

What rpm do you idle at? Could be a vac or intake leak.

Other than thes the TPS could be going but this wouldn't go away once the engine warmed up.

Any codes?

Last edited:
It idles a little under 1000 RPM. No codes, which was steering me away from the O2 sensor.
Unless it is a heating issue or just dead you will not get a code for the upstream O2. There are a few threads on this. If you have or know someone with a scan tool they could collect the O2 sensor data and see that they are switching normally.

I don't have or know anyone with a scan tool. I was going to change out the upstream O2 sensor this weekend. I can't look up the part on the jeep website because it only goes back to vehicles model year 2001 or newer. My Haynes manual only lists/shows the downstream one. I understand the upstream will be somewhere ahead of the cat. cnvtr. but don't know where. I should be able to just trace the pipe up and find it. So the only real problem I have is tracking down the correct part number?

I replaced the upstream O2 sensor Sunday morning. Didn't have any issues on the test drive after. Ill let you know I the problem stays away after this week. Thanks for your help.

You did buy NTK sensor correct?

In the past have you cleaned the TB and IAC?

Have you checked the fuel pressure?
While increasing RPM? Was it steady"

Check the resistance of the temp sensor as the engine warms up.

I'll edit this with the resistance readings when I dig them up.

4390712792_4a2867313d-1.jpg

It took a while, I went on vacation and then when I got back the blower motor for my AC/heat crapped out. It being 95 plus degrees out, I couldn't go without the air. But I cleaned the IAC and throttle body. I will let you know how it goes. Is there supposed to ba gasket underneath the throttle body? There wasn't one there and I put it back without one.

YES! There is supposed to a gasket under the TB! Without one you will have a vac leak. The leak will cause erratic or high RPM and lean out the air fuel mixture.
gaskettothrottlebody53007543abmc_1829-1.jpg

Did the blower motor fail or has one of the wires so connections fail? A typical failure of the AC and heat is the switch and or wires melting due to poor contacts.

Last edited:
The blower motor I ordered just came in yesterday. I hadn't installed it yet, was going to do that today. I assumed it was bad. Wouldn't work in any settings and fuses were good. I didn't realize the switch had a history of issues. I guess Ill find out when I get home.

Turns out it wasn't the blower motor. BUMMER!!!! I guess it is the control switch.

I pulled the panel out and it looks like my problems got worse. Looks like stuff melted on the back of it. Previous owner tried to repair it, did a very poor job. Ill need to replace some wires and connectors and a switch. Got to try and find the parts. On the bright side I did take it for a test drive and it didn't sputter.

Look at rockauto for parts. I'll post back a few good how too posts on AC controls... Later

Don't send the blower motor back until you verify yours isn't failing causing a high current draw.

The wires melting issue to high current. It could be as simple as a bad ground or corroded oxidized contacts, dirty fan or as much as a failing motor. Glad the sputtering stopped.

Last edited:

The blower motor I ordered just came in yesterday. I hadn't installed it yet, was going to do that today. I assumed it was bad. Wouldn't work in any settings and fuses were good. I didn't realize the switch had a history of issues. I guess Ill find out when I get home.
With it not working in any settings?? Not even high? Also pull the resistor pack from behind the glove compartment and check it for continuity. The resistors also go but melting is worse.

Back