79 CJ5 Runs rough

jderrick

I have a 79 CJ5 with the AMC 304 engine. Jeep was running fine but backfired through the carb and heat from the resulting fire did its damage to the carb. The Jeep sat in my barn for about 1 1/2 years before changing the Edelbrock 1806 carb with the Edelbrock 1826. However, I cant get the thing to idle below 1,200 rpm. It runs rough and has a very strong raw fuel smell. I have replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Checked timing. Checked vacuum hoses. Any suggestions?

Welcome to jeeps.com . I don't think that model has a power valve like a Holley style carburetor so that isn't what suffered from the back fire. It sounds like the float needle is off its seat .

Welcome to jeeps.com . I don't think that model has a power valve like a Holley style carburetor so that isn't what suffered from the back fire. It sounds like the float needle is off its seat .

I think I found the issue today. The carb is not sealing to the intake manifold. I have tried different gaskets and even tried a high temp gasoline resistant rtv with no luck. I guess I will have to call Edelbrock on Monday.

The intake leak will produce poor vacuum and cause the metering rods not to pull down causing flooding. Sounds like you've found the cause. Edelbrock will probably advise a rebuild and send you a rebuild kit. At least you'll get to do a cleaning . Since the jeep was sitting idle for some time , not a bad idea. Hope the floats are still intact. Gas may have weakened the solder joints on the floats of if assembled with crimp joints as many are , they will need to be checked that gas has not seeped into floats causing a heavy float condition . Hope not , but good to check. Happens to the old quadra jets.

Back