Confused about sic conditioner in my yj

Crmack

I just bought a1988 yj it has a/c but doesn't have the knobs like all the other ones I've seen it has the a/c spot on the selector switch panel can someone please explain why mine is like this

Welcome to jeeps.com. I'm not a YJ aficionado but I don't think I've heard of an a/c system like yours on a wrangler of that year. Is it a special edition ? Wondering what style compressor your jeep has . Usually they have a sanden style compressor . I remember grand Cherokees (SJ) with the limited edition package had an auto climate control which was on a V8 360 . This compressor on the SJ was a ford style . Tha was AMC though. Unless a low profile bracket was bolted on to the block of your 258 , I don't think a ford style compressor would clear the hood . Can we get some pic's of the dash climate control and the compressor ? Would be something to research . Also hoping someone here knows of this feature on the YJ model. Interesting to say the least.

I will post a few pics today when I get off work ,as far as I know I don't think my jeep is a special edition ,it might be a islander but it doesn't have the decals anymore so iam not sure

Well I forgot to take pics but today I bought a can of 134a and added to the ac and it started getting cold so that was a big plus

Thank you for your posts. Looking forward to pic's when you can , TY. Like to hear more of the 134A conversion. Did that to my '92 . Worked out ok but every now and then I wondered if it was worth investing in R12 ( still available at a price $$ with a license) to restore to original . Mineral oil is best for our systems to provide a barrier inside the rubber lines to reduce leaks but replacing the rubber lines is best solution if going for R12. At those prices , you don't want leaks. As you can figure , $$ will add up fast when selecting new parts. It did for me but I believe in doing things right the first time if ventured into at all.

Back