Rear Disc Brake Swap In XJ

liquidXJ

Read a few things here and there about swapping out my rear drum brakes on my 96 XJ for discs so I don't have to deal with the mess of springs that are in drums.. Just looking for some opinions, thoughts, comments anything really. I know you can use the rear discs out of a grand cherokee as well as a few other parts but what years would work, is it worth it that sort of thing. Thanks in advance!

Read a few things here and there about swapping out my rear drum brakes on my 96 XJ for discs so I don't have to deal with the mess of springs that are in drums.. Just looking for some opinions, thoughts, comments anything really. I know you can use the rear discs out of a grand cherokee as well as a few other parts but what years would work, is it worth it that sort of thing. Thanks in advance!
The parking brake is inside the hat of the rear disk. It is a drum brake with springs. Though you will be much happier with rear disk brakes. What year is your XJ?

1996 Sport, I figured as much. That was going to be next question. How does it affect the parking brake and can I just take the parking brake setup out of the donor grand cherokee? Not terribly opposed to losing the parking brake all together but it would be nice to have since it's a stick.

Replace the dust cover/shield. It has the cutouts to properly support disk brakes.

You could get an idea from here on what needs to be swapped.

Back