What to build.

charles12

I have a 2003 Tj in stock form . I am planning on building it. My question is would there be a better jeep with say better differentials and so forth to start with . And don't say a Rubicon. I'm talking about and older cj or something??

I've got a Ford 8.8 in my 2005 and like it.

I think most people either go with a Dana 44 from a TJ Rubicon, or the Ford 8.8.

What does "better" mean to you? Your question is pretty vague. A TJ is a good builder, as is a CJ, and an XJ.

I have a 2002 TJ Sahara and have done gears, lift, lockers, wheels, tires, winch, cage, and more and I'm into it deep with $ and in some areas still fall short of the capabilities of the TJ Rubicon of the same vintage.

what capabilities would that be. I joined the kc jeep club and that is all they do. Buy a 2015 Rubicon for 50,000 and thats it. Wow I really put a lot of work in that. They should call it the Rubicon club

The Rubicon will do more than most people will ever need. The rear diff, and upgraded driveshaft are some pretty solid advantages right off the bat.

NO. THATS NOT IT ! We are a family here , we help each other. Weather if it's on the trail or on this forum. Folks like you I admire, you want to learn and get your hands dirty, You well have more fun and adventures spending that 50,000 on a couple of old beaters you can take pride in.

I think having fun offroading has as much (more?) to do with the driver than the rig. I've met plenty of guys who aren't afraid to beat their new Jeeps like crazy - always makes me cringe seeing the first set of "pin stripes" on someone's new paint. If you have 50K in your rig and aren't afraid to wheel it then that's cool - I'm probably too much of a sissy to do that though.

Find a dollar amount that you're comfortable at, and will be able to actually use it. I've always wanted a 2000 / 2001 Cherokee - especially now that I've got kids. That would make for some good wheeling, and you could probably do it for $2000 - 4000.

Back