Need aome help

elstx65

84 CJ7. Yesterday I replaced the plug wires; replaced plugs the day before. Yesterday I also replaced fuel filter and rubber hoses that connect the filter to fuel lines. Got in it this morning and it was idling low. Drove fine, but had to give it gas when stopped. Died twice when I put on the clutch. Finally got home and checked for gas leaks - none. Adjusted idle faster. Didn't drive it but gave it gas while sitting there. Runs for awhile (engine bouncing all over), then will end up dying. When it dies, the carb sprays a mist and has white/ gray smoke slowly coming out, along with some black smoke coming out if the tail pipe. Yea, the filter is in the right direction and no gas is leaking. I'm sure someone out there will be able to tell me what is wot g. I didn't have this issue prior to changing plugs, wire, hoses, and fuel filter.

I'd double check the firing order. Did you check the gap on the plugs before you installed them?

Yep I gapped them IAW my Chiltons. I know I kept the order the same. Would a wire not seated well cause this issue?

Caution Chilton books have many mistakes.

Last edited:
Caution Hilton books have many mistakes.

Are you possibly mistaken, and thinking about the hanes manual purchased from auto zone. Which in my opinion is only good as toilet paper. Not very good paper even for that.

Are you possibly mistaken, and thinking about the hanes manual purchased from auto zone. Which in my opinion is only good as toilet paper. Not very good paper even for that.
IMHO the best is the FSM. And only the FSM. All else falls far below.

Last edited:

Chiltons. All plug wires are seated and in correct position. It runs better, but will still die if you let it run without giving it any gas. I noticed the hose I put on that runs from the fuel line to the inlet Sid of the pump is slightly flat at the bend. I got the fuel hose at Autozone. Is there anything different when it comes to fuel hose? The outlet side of the pump had 5/16" and the inlet side had 1/4". I couldn't even get the 1/4" to fit over the nipple. Both nipples are the same size.

If you are running 1\4" fuel line, I wouldn't think enough gas could get through to feed the engine the amount of gas it needs. I think the fuel line is 3\8"

I would check all electrical connections and vac lines to make sure there are good connections and no leaks. Check to make sure your vac advance hose is connected at the distributor and the carb. Sounds like something got knocked off or loose when you made your recent changes. I know the 82 models had a fuse under the dash that controlled some pump on the carb and if it blows the jeep will run like crap (guess how I know) Good luck and let us know

Back