Removing control arm bushings (axle side)

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I spent the day banging on the upper control arm bushings (the ones that are pressed into the top of the axle) in my dana 30 front axle. No amount of cursing would get them to come out.. my next step may be to sacrifice a chicken to the bushing gods.

Is there an easier way? The axle is installed, so there is very little room to work. Would a press like I used on my ball joints help?

The press will definately help . You may need the master adapter set that harbor freight has if the adapters in your set don't work with the bushing size . I'm sure you had the axle at its lowest point so tool clearance shouldn't be an issue but please do keep this in mind . Knowing you've used it to press ball joints will give you the insight in terms of the clearance the tool commands . Just like ball joints , rap on the differential " ears " when you got the pressure and they'll eventually give up the fight. If using the press presents a problem , you can drill out the rubber to weaken the steel sleeve pressed into the differential ears and cave in the sleeves with a chisel and sledge from the sides to loosen their grip. Folks have used propane torches to melt the rubber away in place of drilling but I don't think you will particularly care for this method even if the axle were out of the jeep. That can present obvious problem , and more cussing . Hope this helps and wishing you best of luck on this job . I'm sure you'll do well. Knowing you've got the C press and/or a trusty drill , your well armed for the fight .
p.s. - plenty of pb blaster where the bushing sleeves press into the axle ears since half the battle is the corrosion that helps hold them into place and not come out quietly . If you opt to drill the rubber , you can soak the rubber with the penetrating oil as you go to keep the smoke at bey and the drill bit from seizing into the rubber . Grease may work too.

Last edited:
Yeah. I would use the ball joint press if you can find something the same size as the outer cup. If not at least use it to push the rubber and spacer through. Then an air chisel works wonders or an ever so gingerly slice with a saw a&p but be careful not to cut to far

It takes medieval methods for me, burning the rubber out and using a chisel on the remaining outer sleeve to deform it.

I've read about burning them out, but that just sounds like a mess of molten rubber and toxic fumes. I drilled out the rubber from the bushing in my track bar, and that was more work than I had expected.

I'm going to try and press out the bushing, or at least the inner sleeve, then use a coping saw to get out the rubber bushing / outer sleeve.

A year ago when I first tried this I just gave up and bolted it all back up the way I found it...

From past experience with control arm bushings , it's just bull work that is held up by our old friend s , rust and corrosion we are no stranger too . A little penetrating oil daily until the day chosen to attack again will help and should achieve success . Anything with a press fit always needs the rust to be dealt with . The bushings your contending with are really no different .

You can use a peice of threaded rod with a washer the same size as outer sleeve and a cup or large socket to receive the bushing into. That may be a more humane way. I've done that to press in and out leaf spring Bushings.

Back