Brake Conversion Kits for 01 TJ

Renzomatic

I'm considering the install of a conversion kit to change the rear brakes from drum to disc. Wondering about good kits, things to consider beyond just the conversion kit itself (other work that will be necessary), compatibility of kit if axles change from D35's to D44's or any other upgrade.

I wouldn't install myself, but would likely have a mechanic do it, so just looking into being somewhat prepared to discuss thoughtfully.

Any thoughts, suggestions on brands, installation, further upgrade mods in mind, etc.

Thinking either a Crown Automotive or a Teraflex kit.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72f54

Drum to Disc Conversion Kit | Crown Automotive Sales Co

Any other good manufacturers to consider? Is it even worth doing?

I've got a TJ that came with rear drums like you. My drums always worked fine though - is there a chance that you rears just need new shoes and some adjustment? My opinion is that this probably isn't a worthwhile way to spend a grand.

Anyway.. For the same money, you can get a whole new Ford 8.8 axle complete with disc brakes. If you like to offroad then that may be a better way to go
Complete Ford 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly Jeep TJ Ready to Bolt In Axle Swap
It's definitely scope creep, when you go in looking to upgrade your brakes, and next thing you know you're getting a new axle and pricing out lockers, but if you've got the itch to upgrade, this isn't a bad thing.

Met couple of guys not long ago who had their TJ converted to disc. Can't really remember the details but thought they are bit expensive. I totally have no idea but would be interested to learn if you go for it.

There is also a "junkyard" route to rear disks. You need to get the parts from a 93-98 grand Cherokee. Calipers rotors the e-brake setup and the backing plates. Should be considerably less expensive.

There are two parts to the thought of changing out the brakes. I've had a going on years issue with fluid getting through the axle seals and onto my rear passenger side drum essentially making it worthless. I've had three different mechanics remove the axle (one mechanic twice to fix it from the first attempt) and re-do the seals. I like to think they all changed both seals, but I can't tell myself. So, I need to clean that drum anyway, so I thought maybe I'd kill two birds with one stone. And generally, I've always felt that discs are better than drums and I feel like the drum and disc combo for stopping power is a bit jammy, not that tap tight feel you get with full discs.

The whole asssembly swab sounds like a good way to deal with both issues.

I've got a TJ that came with rear drums like you. My drums always worked fine though - is there a chance that you rears just need new shoes and some adjustment? My opinion is that this probably isn't a worthwhile way to spend a grand.

Anyway.. For the same money, you can get a whole new Ford 8.8 axle complete with disc brakes. If you like to offroad then that may be a better way to go
It's definitely scope creep, when you go in looking to upgrade your brakes, and next thing you know you're getting a new axle and pricing out lockers, but if you've got the itch to upgrade, this isn't a bad thing.

Just looked up the unit, then went through the options, and now up to $1500, you were right about scope creep. :)

Back