'96 Cherokee Sport Runs Rough

Old Sport

Hello everyone. New here and need some help. My son has the 4.0 engine and it hardly runs. It will start and idle but if it idles too long doesn't want to run and sometimes stalls. It also stalls if you run at highway speed for awhile once you stop. Acts like it is flooding out. If you let it sit a few hours and restart it you're good for awhile. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

check your normal spots:

idle control valve. it gets really carboned up and causes idle issues. its on the side of the throttle body, between the valve cover and the tb. i think it has three little torx head bolts holding it on. just take it off and spray the crap out of it with carb cleaner. don;t try and pull or push it in but you can use a plastic bristle brush to help clean it. also, clean the tb where it mounts because it will be super carboned up

Fresh gas?

Agree clean TB and IAC

What temp is it getting to before stalling?
What rpm does it idle at?

Are all your vacuum lines attached and not leaking?

Any check engine lights(CEL)?

Agree clean TB and IAC If you dont know the history of the jeep you might try replacing the fuel filter/ air filter also. :shades:

a lot of jeeps do what you are describing almost everyone I worked on had a bad ECM so now that is the first thing I always check ,
symptoms usually are as follows , starving for fuel , runs rich , stalls , runs rough , fouling out plugs , acts like catalytic is clogged.

Back