1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0; Front Coil Springs

HikerJeep

Have '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 5-spd; 277,000 and running well (!); no wild rock climbing, though do get onto mountain Forest Service roads frequently; not lifted, though have airlifts on the rear for use when pulling a cargo trailer; new leaf springs on rear; new Bilsteins all'round, so those have helped improve the ride significantly (yes, the Cherokee can act like a bit of a truck sometimes, especially on Seattle city streets ... but that discussion isn't so much about Jeeps but about government not in action ...); getting old enough here that I appreciate a bit more comfortable ride, and I'm wondering if the front coil springs being replaced would help with that; point of this posting: any comments, information, recommendations? Much appreciated.

why just the front springs??? unless you are constantly carrying a load in the rear (assuming unassisted by air) your springs eil weaken at relatively close to the same rate, since you have air lifts for towing, your load on the springs should be relatively equal, and therefore all four should be replaced at the same time. replacing your front springs alone will shift the weight transfer on acceleration to the rear rather hard and depending on how bad they are create driving issues. Also of note, when replacing springs, it is generally advised to replace shocks at the same time. If you are looking for comfort, look to factory spec parts, if not actual jeep replacement parts for the most comfortable ride, as most aftermarket jeep suspension parts are geared to the off road arena

but, when i replaced my springs with some aftermarket ones, on an older 87 cherokee, what an improvement in ride. they were 3" lift though so i am sure if you just got some 1" lift, or if they even make 0" lift, that would help

Yes changing the springs can and will change the way the Jeep drives and handles. It really all comes down to spring rates and in combination with your shock package. Want it to ride like a Cadaliac then buy some softer rates springs with some good long travel shocks that can absorb the bumps. Personally with a TJ this can all be done just with air pressure even. Less air worse gas mileage better ride.

Factory springs will definitely be fatigued with that many miles.

Back