Changing of the ride

RudeDog

Well, things, life change... The wife's car is aging and so we started thinking about options. We like having a jeep as we have many uses for one: Ground towed behind our RV for transportation when we get where were going, off road use @ Pismo beach & some rock & dirt off road events Etc. So, we decided to sell my TJ :cry:and her car and buy another jeep which would then be her daily driver, and used for the above as well. This will drop the fleet down 1 vehicle and reduce expenses: maintenance, repairs, insurance Etc. So we recently picked up a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited a w/Hard Rock package in Firecracker red. This time we decided to by a dealer moded one instead of a stock one and having to go thru a full blown mod process again (could be due to the aging process?). Its got a basic 3.5" lift with 35" tires and after market wheels. So, now going i'm going thru various forums to learn things to do to a JK. Odd, I remember the TJ vs JK times being sometimes like the north Vs the south, thinking I'll never sell my TJ & get a JK... lol... So it starts all over.... :D

Congrats on the new rig!! Any Jeep is a good Jeep!

Awesome Jeep and color.. When my wife and I where looking that is what we wanted but could not afford it. So we bought it's little brother JKU willys pkg in fircracker red.

Thanks... Its nice to have a new vehicle, its been a while. Yeah, the red is realy pretty bright, even more so by having the red top and flares.

Know we don't share.. I have an old Honda I use to commute to and from work in.

Post some pics of the new ride!
OK, here's one... bought this as a package. Future I have to get a tire-wheel change to 17's..

ForumRunner_20160909_193654.png

Man, that is nice. How hard is it to take off the newer hard tops? Is that in one piece or two?

Thanks!.. its actually considered a 3 piece: 2 front panels, then the large rear section like a TJ. I've had the 2 front panels off, but not the rear yet. From what i see thr rear should come off like a TJ by removal of sone screws on the tub rails. I'm thinking I've got to try taking it off soon as fall is here, and winters coming.

This just seems to get better. Wife is OK driving the JKU? Where as she wasn't so tolerant with the TJ. Don't know if thats a good thing, or a slap to my core jeepisum? Lol...

Last edited:

You can't not love it . The JK is an awesome jeep , even if it appears to look more like a truck. To appreciate the TJ , you have to have roots that go back to a YJ or a CJ. I think women just embrace the fact that the JK is a very sound , protective vehicle compared to a smaller jeep like the CJ , YJ or TJ. Women just think practical in that way . Can't blame them but it takes the cool factor out of it. Of course not all gals think like that . I see plenty of chicks sporting around in TJ's.

Are you trying to say size matters?

I would say the JK has more amenities like a luxury car than the grass roots Batam mark II and the CJ, YJ and TJ.

greg92jeepxj and jpninpa: I agree, with both it comes down to comfort,l/New technology and or rugged. Hard to balance both worlds. To me, i think more of the old school rugged purpose built, less comfort (old cj days), wife more comfort & amenity's. Add in I'm getting older (lean) I'm losing the battle i think... lol. Eeeek..

Last edited:
Back