Jeep gear hauling trailer

robthetoonman

Anyone built a trailer for their Jeep? A gear hauler for camping. I wannt to build one and am looking for ideas. Trailers like in the pic. I'd love to see pics of what you've done.

4e37c9cda1701c0ce7218c3857a9ad67-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What is it you're wanting to haul?

The small military 1/4t trailers are a good starting platform if you can find one.

I had one years ago but it rusted out. We took the back half of pick box cut the frame and welded on a tongue to connect to the hitch. Use to be able to get construction titles in Pennsylvania but now they made the process very difficult.

I had one years ago but it rusted out. We took the back half of pick box cut the frame and welded on a tongue to connect to the hitch. Use to be able to get construction titles in Pennsylvania but now they made the process very difficult.

I've seen similar trailers made using the back of a Jeep body....pretty cool.

Many take the inexpensive trailer from harbor freight and adding to them including std sized wheels and tires to match your vehicle.
IMG_20140801_115017_zpst12vjbq4-1.jpg
attachmentphpattachmentid480682d13744770-1.jpg
M482_zpsad7568e9-1.jpg

Last edited:
I built the trailer a few years ago. I call it the 4x4+2. 3000 pound axel with a ground-up build on the frame. Very strong! 4 x 7 foot 2x6 tongue & groove bed. Aluminum tread-plate topper. The trailer features a 30 gallon water tank for Moab desert camping with RV type on-demand pump, three burner high output propane stove for that Colorado high altitude cooking, Thule Pod, side mounted sink and lots of room for all the camping stuff. Overhead 12-volt lighting make camp chores a breeze at night.
file:///Users/danlong/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/Masters/2016/07/27/20160727-212555/IMG_0192.JPG

Read more: http://www.jeepz.com/forum#ixzz4JFCjSO4p

Attachments

• IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0193.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 30

A couple pictures of my first Gear Hauling Trailer, the first is going down from the top of Elephant Hill in Canyon Lands National Park. The next shows the articulation of the trailer. This trailer is one foot shorter than the one posted above and is a little more crude. I used a sheet metal top, heaver and not as strong as aluminum.

Attachments

• Elephant Hill.jpeg
    Elephant Hill.jpeg
    978.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Willy's Trailer.jpeg
    Willy's Trailer.jpeg
    872.7 KB · Views: 22

That looks like a great project to build with the kid.

Back