1973 cj5 build (ground up)

Bryce Mcmahon

so here is what I have planned. I bought a frame for a 1973 cj5 a month ago and has the front a back axels as well, I have sand blasted and painted the frame. Now here is where I need the help. I'm want to make this jeep a daily driver, capable of moderate 4 wheeling nothing crazy just a summer thing. So Id like to hear some ideas for engine, transmission, and transfer case. I want to buy newish and just be able to drop it in and as painless as possible any ideas?

Take lots of photos of your build, and post them here!

You want your drivetrain as short as possible, so compare the lengths of several options. The shorter the drivetrain, the longer the rear driveshaft for improved ujoint angles with a moderate lift. I believe the Ford v8 might have some short options.

the 302 is very short. i did that in my yj with a c6 and it was shorter then the 4.2/auto that came in the jeep. since your jeep came with a stick, you can use and adapter or use a ford standard trans and it wil lbe short enough.

and it will be badass because of how short the jeep is. we had a 76 cj5 with a 4.2 and 3 speed trans and it was a blast because it could crawl up and down anything since it was so short and skinny.

My opinion if you want drop in and simple, is to stay with a jeep factory set up. engine, trans, and tcase. 6cyl or 8cyl up to you, 3 or 4spd trans up to you, but my vote is a v8 with 4spd. being you have 73 axles your gearing may be 4.27 stock, I believe 3.73 was optional, so you have decent gearing to start with. You should also have a dana 44 flanged rear axle and open knuckle dana 30 drum brake front axle. Rear axle is very very desirable.

Back