98 jeep grand cherokee e-brake help needed...

Fataqui

Hello all...

I recently bought a 1998 jeep grand cherokee laredo, and I am in the process of trying to get it ready for my states inspection. I have pretty much done everything I need to do but I am stuck on the e-brakes. When I purchased the jeep it didn't have any of the hardware for the e-brake. I guess the PO removed everything. Anyhow, I have pretty much put everything back, left & right cables, right & left cable levers and cams. I also bought pads and a complete hardware kit for both sides including all the lever boots. So here is my question... at the bottom of the e-brake assembly is an "Adjust Screw" with an "Adjustment Gear" at one end of that "Adjust Screw". So which way does the "Adjustment Gear" end of the "Adjust Screw" go. Does it go towards the front of the jeep or the rear of the jeep. And is it the same way for both the driver / passenger sides of the jeep. I am asking because my chiltons book shows it pointing to the front of the vehicle for both sides, but then my haynes book shows it pointing to the back of the vehicle for both sides!

Thank You
Sonia

Sorry, I think I put this in the wrong technical forum, can someone please move it.... thanks!!!

Last edited:
Back