Old guy buys old Jeep.

daddyusmaximus

Hello all. New to the forum. Just put some money down on a CJ5 with a young man who is willing to sell it to me on payments. I'm U.S. Army retired/disabled, so living off my VA disability. I've had two Jeeps before, both CJ5s, both stock, both before the internet was born...

New toy is a '79 that was built by the guy before the guy I'm buying it from. It was a sand toy, but will now be a trail rig, and summer fun vehicle. Probably use it for camping (overlanding) out of too, but only in the midwest. It has a pretty strong 360, 727, Dana 20 t-case, Dana 44 front, Chrysler 9.25 rear with a Detroit locker, and 4 wheel disc brakes, and 4.88 gears. Haven't had a 4x4 in a while, but will be using much of my old gear, lights, ect to get started with.

Debating weather to go black with red wheels (kinda my thing with past trucks) or Army it up like a M38A1 on steroids.

That's a great looking Jeep!
My first Jeep was an 80 CJ5, so I dig'em

3032514546-1.gif
and enjoy the forum!

Thanks for joining our forum and also Thanks for serving in our armed forces ! On that note I would army it up like the M38A1. just saying.

I've had those seats in a Jeep before, real kidney busters.

Rig looks to be well set up for what you want to do. Where in the Midwest are you? I'm near the StL.

Congratulations, I like the Jeep. I would do a good inspection of all normal wear parts and everything rubber. I would check to see if the spring over lift was done well and change all fluids before considering the wheels.

Back