Help with whirling sound coming from left rear GC 2006 WK 4.7 Laredo

laredo2006

I have this whirling sound coming from the rear left side when I'm driving. When I come to a complete stop it stops doing it. What could it be?

I would guess its a wheel bearing. Its a whirling, or maybe a light roar? When you are driving and you swerve back and forth, does it go away when you swerve to the left or right? That usually will tell you which side is in need of work when it stops as you turn left or right.

I would guess its a wheel bearing. Its a whirling, or maybe a light roar? When you are driving and you swerve back and forth, does it go away when you swerve to the left or right? That usually will tell you which side is in need of work when it stops as you turn left or right.

Hi there, no it doesn't go away if I turn left or right, only goes away at a complete stop. Someone told me it could be a ring and pinion gear starting to go bad. Said to remove the plug on the differentiel cover and check the oil level. And to do it before it's too late. Does that make sense?

I last changed my diff oils in May 2015 or 23,000 km ago.

Also got this:

"It could also be a wheel bearing or cv joint or brake noise. Anything over there that is reciprocating when the vehicle is only moving. Is it definitely left side? That could help you narrow it down.

Check your cv joint boots to see if the grease has come out which could dry out the joint."

Thanks!! Yes it is definitely left side. Sounds like an airplane is going to close in on me and bomb me, one of them old german stukas.

So it ended up being the handbrake calipers (is that what they're called) that were really rusty and finished. So I had them removed and will get new ones soon. Not sure if I should bother with them because I never use them, but probably good to have it working.

Back