Linkage in a YJ Jeep

Chef

Hey guys, I just picked up a 92 wrangler, 4cyl manual. It has a lift. I have no idea if its body or suspension. Its on 33" tires. Ive never had a Jeep I bought it and clearly didnt know what I was getting into. My problem. It has 4low but when i put it into 4hi, it works a little bit (at least it seems like it) then it does some griding and seems like it clunks out of 4wd. I did some reading and they pointed me to the Linkage on the transfer case. I took it off it was rusted solid. After 25 phone calls to regional dealers, I found one. Replaced it and it seems like I am having the same issues, Is the transfercase shot? Or do you think my linkage is still off? I am not a mechanic. But as far as i can tell i have the linkage adjusted correctly.

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to Jeepz.com
Look that the floor of your Jeep, and remove the rubber boot around transfer case shifter (you don't have to take it all the way off, just lift it up some to see). See if the shifter is making contact with the body of the Jeep when you shift into 4wd.

Loosen the shift rod on the transfer case linkage. Manually shift the transfer case to 4lo using a 3/8" box wrench or crescent wrench on the shift pawl where it enters the transfer case. Move the shifter to 4lo and tighten the shift rod.

Drain and replace the transfer case fluid. Let us know how the old fluid looks when coming out. Should be about 2.5-3 quarts of red ATF.

If that doesn't fix it, post up and we'll go from there.

Back