1990 Laredo, Need Belt help, have searched

Kmon

This is a 1990 laredo 4.0 i'm having some problems with, the alternator pretty much gave it's last breath and the battery can't keep up anymore. So I read through a couple threads into finding a way to loosen the v-belt to get the alternator off an probably do the idler. Well I was working on the tensioner under the Powersteering pump (great spot...) Tightened it, loosend it, The bolt that secures it was not loose, but not flush against the guiding bracket. I haven't gotten the powersteering pump to budge a mm. So My last guess is to tighten the secure bolt and then tighten or loosen the screw at the driver side pointing to the fender well.

Any help would be great, Can't wait to have some fun with this project.

Loosen some more bolts on the power steering pump. It has to pivot.

Yeah thanks, that's exactly what it was. I got spoiled working on Japaneses cars and every tensioner I dealt with was 1 or two bolts in the front. Then it was fun to remember the belt route, but everything is good, new alternator and idler is in and hopefully it's smooth sailing, ran out of sun light to tight the rest of the power steering/tensioner bolts.

Found a good bet diagram for anyone elses future reference for a 4.0 90 Cherokee.

autorepair.about.com/library/illustrations/bl506a-lib

hope that works i did that link free hand. Next off to the loose steering problem, seems straight forward.

Thanks a lot for your info, seems like you have a cool group of people on this forum from when I did my search.

Back