81 CJ7 wiring help needed

First of all I would like to thank greg92jeepXJ, Policemonkey161 and 69jeepcj for the help they have given and given and given on getting the Fuel injection and TFI install going.

Little history. 81 jeep 4 cylinder had the engine ripped out and a 77 258 installed. Everything for the 81 configuration is gone The wiring is as close to caveman as you can get I'm installing a Howell TBI kit and I need the Dura Spark distributer to replace the Prestolite Distributer. Well even if I don't need to its already installed. I am replacing the 77 ignition control module with a Ford Ignition module. I went this way because I have done this Mod on another vehicle and thought I was familiar with the installation and I will need a 4 post starter solenoid to make this work.

What I know. Nothing matches the wiring diagrams. If you guys thought it was tough to follow the ever changing jeep diagrams then this would be 5 times worse than that.

My solenoid has a battery cable to the starter, a red wire going to the BATT connector of the alternator and then tapping off and going to pin 12 of the BHC (bulk head connector) and connected to the + battery. And the Lt blue wire on the small terminal

What has been done. Dura Spark system (coil, Distributer [factory 81 jeep replacement], Cap, rotor, wires and IM have been installed. Every thing is wired up except the new 4 post solenoid and the two wire plug from the ignition module

What my issue is. The ford IM (ignition Module) has a plug with a red and a white wire and the jeep is all over the place on this area because of the hack job and ever changing wire diagrams. I know where the IM red wire goes to. It will tie in with a wire from the S terminal of the solenoid and a lt blue wire going to pin 14 of the firewall connector, or BHC if you will. This is all good

Problem The white wire is supposed to goo to a red with white 16 gage wire from pin 13. My pin 13 has the red and white wire but it is caveman spliced and goes to a 26 gage wire to the T-5 transmission Via a plug in the engine bay down to the transmission. Remember I have a red wire running to the+ side of the solenoid.
My old coil goes to a red wire on the BHC at pin 52 and splices with the old single plug 77 IM to the red and white wire.
The engine started before so something is wired close to what it should be.
Does the red wire spliced with the coil + and pin 52 go to the I terminal of the new solenoid. Any help would be great because I do not want to let the smoke out of the IM and hurt the new TBI and computer when I install it.

This is what I am trying to achieve. pin E2 F2 is the problem wire

Attachments

• 80 jeep starter.jpg
    80 jeep starter.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 51,578
Last edited:

Well this is what I have figured out. The big red/white wire is 12Vdc in run and 0Vdc in start. this is the one going to the transmission. The small red wire is the same. Small red going to starting system. so I will run the small wire to the small wire in the transmission. And the big red wht wire will go to the starting system and then on to my I terminal. If any one thinks I shouldn't let me know.

Edit: The small red wire originally used to run the jeep is supposed to supply power to the back up lights. It is now the coil run power. what a bunch of hacks. Its a wonder this thing did not burn up.

Last edited:
Got everything figured out. It helps if I communicate what needs to happen. Then I see what needs to be done. Thanks

Back