Chrysler refuses to recall 2.7 million Jeep over rear-mounted fuel tank safety

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
In one of the biggest-ever showdowns between an automaker and the government, Chrysler on Tuesday is expected to file papers explaining its refusal to recall 2.7 million older Jeep SUVs that are at risk of catching fire in rear-end collisions.

The government says 51 people have suffered fiery deaths in Jeep Grand Cherokees and Libertys with gas tanks mounted behind the rear axles. But Chrysler is expected to stick to its contention that the SUVs are as safe as similar vehicles on the road. The Jeeps, it says, met all federal safety standards when they were built, some more than two decades ago.

More info here - Chrysler Expected to Formally Refuse Jeep Recall - ABC News

About face. They decided they'd lose less money doing a recall than it would cost them in bad publicity.

Chrysler says it will have dealers conduct "visual inspection of the vehicle" and "will, if necessary, provide an upgrade to the rear structure of the vehicle to better manage crash forces in low-speed impacts."
Chrysler is taking the step to avoid prolonged bad publicity that would result in an ongoing dispute with NHTSA.

I don't know how they are going to fix the rear of the vehicle. Could be really expensive.

I was reading about this yesterday, and some sites were talking about strengthening the area around the gas tank. Maybe they could have some bolt on armor around the tank.

My jeep is affected...I read that a plate around the tank, a stronger filler hose, and a safety valve in the tank would fix the prob

Looks like a trailer hitch is their fix.

For 1.56 million Liberty and older Grand Cherokee vehicles, a hitch assembly will be installed if one isn't there now, the company said in an e-mailed statement. If a vehicle has an aftermarket hitch not made by Chrysler, it may be replaced.
On Grand Cherokees from model years 1999 through 2004, no action will be taken on vehicles that don't have a hitch. Vehicles with hitches will be inspected, and the units will be replaced if necessary, Chrysler said.

No action on GC's Crap I thought I was about to get a hitch!!!

No free lunch ? Awww man , what a gip ! Could be worse though , lucky that the whole body structure is still sanctioned and that Chrysler didn't mandate the whole build be R/O'd like a house losing its C/O and DMV ordering a refusal to honor registration renewal and inspection . That's a heck of a lot of G.C. and liberties not getting parted on to eBay , Craigslist and yard sales !
But most of all , we don't want the name and reputation of the beloved Jeep to go the way of the Edsel . Chryslers got enough trying to keep sales up . Wish I could do my part , but I'm supposed to be saving up for a CJ !

Back