Fluxucating temp gauge

Ludsjeep

After thermostat opens up and temp then drops to normal operating temp, the temp gauge will fluctuate to 210 and then drop to 190 or so...any ideas?

That is somewhat normal.
When you say the thermo opens and the temp drops to normal what is it at prior to dropping?

It should reach 210 and stay there providing you don't have a big cooling load like a stuck clutch fan or a huge radiator

What temp thermostat do you have in. It should be 195 degree.

Last edited:
That is somewhat normal. It should reach 210 and stay there providing you don't have a big cooling load like a stuck clutch fan or a huge radiator What temp thermostat do you have in. It should be 195 degree.
have a 190 deg thermostat

The 190 deg should be fine. Just be sure your expansion tank is to the fill line when cool so the radiator stays full.

How hot does it get?

The 190 deg should be fine. Just be sure your expansion tank is to the fill line when cool so the radiator stays full. How hot does it get?
just got back to forum, temp never goes over 210 deg. Just moves up and down between 210 and 190 as you drive about...was thinking sticking thermostat or sending unit-just not sure...

My only concern would this being a precursor to a failing or failed unit/sensor and if it's reading correctly. I would start testing my coolant system, sensors ect

Back