Ford fuel injected 302 into 1985 cj7 input needed

Platsmith

Ok guys I need some input and some help. I have a 85 cj7 that currently has a I6 258, T176 trans and a Dana 300 transfer case. I have acquired an 5.0L fuel injected 302 out of an 89 Lincoln Towncar. I know it is a speed density motor and I won’t get the same hp out of it as a HO motor but hey I got the complete car and everything with decent mileage for 300 bucks. Here are some things I need to know.

Headers I have heard that you need block hugger headers what are you guys using. I have found these from summit racing SUM-G9063-1 and SUM-G9063 would these work? Once is ceramic coated one is plain is the ceramic coating really work it.

Motor mounts what are you guys using? I have seen some reports that the MORE motor mounts have caused some drive shaft problems. I want something that will bold right in no problem and give me the correct position and not compromise my drive train any. Should I go with the zandm mounts or more mounts or something different.

I am going to keep the T176 and dana 300 I have heard that I need a ford bell housing but also heard that my current one will bold up is this wrong or correct. Novac says that I would need to cut off .610 of and inch of the input shaft is this correct or just bull?

I am going to try my current radiator with the ford taurus fan. I think it should be adequate my radiator is in excellent condition.

Any input would be helpful and feel free to add anything you think I have missed.

Platsmith

This probably won't be any help...
I've got an '82 CJ5 with a 5.0L from a van. Also have the T-176 and D300...bought it with swap completed. Headers are definitely shorty...mine go to dual exhaust all the way back. The Summit ones look like they'd work. I think mine sweep back more at the collector, though.
My motor mounts are cobbed in pieces, so I'm no help on that and unsure about the bellhousing too. I'll check it out when I can, out of town at the moment.
Oh yeah, as for the radiator, mine had the stock unit with a flex mechanical fan, and the jeep initially had a 4-banger I think. It was deteriorating and the fins crumbled if you touched them. It kept that V-8 cool though...I couldn't believe it even held water! I have since put a Griffin aluminum rad in it, and that obviously works well.
Hope this info was worth the time it took to read it!

Hey I don't know if you're still looking for help but that is what I want to do with my YJ, if I end up keeping it. But I found that www.zandm.com is a company that specifies in the 5.0 in the YJ, but I don't know if any of this will help since you're looking for a CJ.

LR

I'd do like rooster suggested and go to pirate4x4... they have a ton of info on this swap, i was on there looking around the other night

Back