How traffic looks from the side of the road

Utah_jeepster

Super Moderator
Well I now have first hand experience of how morning rush hour traffic looks from the side of the road.
This morning my Jeep let me down...again. This Morning I hit the on ramp to the freeway, with a running start I nailed the skinny pedal and hope to make 65MPH at the end of the on ramp. Well let me tell you folks "me" jeep was screaming up that on ramp...getting passed by semi trucks. When all of a sudden the yellow "check motor" light came on with a beep and promptly died.
And here I was almost to 45 MPH! Well she flashed me a 05 - 03 on the ole odometer (Found out later "P0503 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit Intermittent), after trying the pull the + cable trick for 15 minutes she still didn't fire...

Needless to say morning rush hour traffic is quiet lovely at 6 in the morning especially viewed from the side of the road.

Well
it was a cascading effect...the crank case position sensor was the first to go...it messed up everything after that...it crunched the oil pump cam and this fed a small power glitch to the speed sensor taking it out.

Thats no lie...its what the service adviser said to me...

I would have to call BS on that. I'm no 4.0 expert, but the crank position sensor is external to the engine block. Usually in the bellhousing. How could it have any effect on the oil pump cam which is internal to the engine on the front side of the block?
The VSS and the crank position sensor are two seperate circuits feeding data to the computer. I would say there is no way one could have a damaging effect on the other.
Most Crank position sensor problems are due to clearance between the sensor and trigger (has to have the proper gap) and dirt or water getting on the sensor.

I cant say how or why...but the oil pump cam was chewed up and the cps shows an open circuit when I tested the remains. I didn't get a code for them when I did the on-off test method to pull the codes, the only code that flashed was the 05-03, the last fault the computer received? But both sensors test open circuit. Now as to why ? you tell me because I don't under stand why if you jump on the gas trying to hit that magical 65MPH mark that either will go.
As to why I didn't see a code for the cps either?

I do know thats its fix and runs now...but I was scared to jump on it this morning heading into work, they did fix the automatic shifter cable for me as well, because it slipped the last time I was wheelin because I slammed the shifter into 1st a wee bit too hard.

Back