Key dance doesn’t pull codes

JPNinPA

2008 Jeep liberty 3.7
I’ve had the P0457 gas cap code a few times. After one or two times the key dance stopped working . It shows —————- then changes to dOne.

Now having P0305 and P0205 code but the key dance shows nothing. So I had to drive to a shop for a code reader

Has anyone run into this or have an explanation?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

This is from the JK DTCs:
If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged in any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.

Sounds like the codes were cleared, or perhaps the battery was disconnected / died.

Nope!
The engine is misfiring. Engine light is blinking.
Shut vehicle off then key on and the check engine light is on.
Key dance -no codes in odometer
Use code reader and see P0205 and P0305.

Same when P0457 gas cap sets. No odometer display of code. ONDII reader sees the code.
The odometer did display codes at one point.

Also the trip odometer would reset if the battery was disconnected.

I have not had this specific issue, but have had funky code reading issues before. Here is what I found, YMMV.

If codes were cleared/reset or the battery was disconnected, it might take several start, warm up, and drive cycles to reregister new codes.

If several cycles does not fix it, unhook thr battery completely, wait about a half hour, then reconnect. After doing this, , it might take several start, warm up, and drive cycles to reregister new codes. This routine should not be conducted too close to a scheduled state smog or vehicle inspection as the battery disconnect will throw a code when the state hooks up its money making machine...I mean hooks up its engine tester.

FYI...in my area at least, AutoZone will read OBD codes for no charge and they use a nice commercial code reader to do it.

From what I've read, P0205 could be a wiring issue - something shorting the injector to ground. It could also be a bad injector.

Thanks Terry! Replacing all injectors being they have gas puddled in the connector. Explains the gas smell under the hood.

Thing was i couldn’t get the codes from the key dance.

Back