Pentastar is picked as one of Ward’s 10 Best Engines again

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
For the second consecutive year, The editors of Ward’s Automotive have named Chrysler Group’s Pentastar V-6 as one of 2011′s “10 Best Engines. The Pentastar powerplant is now standard or optional on the Chrysler 200, 300 and Town & Country; Dodge Avenger, Challenger, Charger, Durango, Journey and Caravan; Jeep Grand Cherokee and Wrangler. Ward’s tested the Pentastar in the Chrysler 300 and Jeep Wrangler.

“Every year, Ward’s Automotive recognizes the industry leaders in engine technology,” said Drew Winter, editor at Ward’s Automotive. “Chrysler has successfully demonstrated the breadth of this engine and how it delivers on all fronts including fuel economy, lower emissions and power.”

Though it was one of the few winners is not equipped with direct injection, editors noted the Pentastar returned better fuel economy than a similarly sized direct-injection V-6 in the competition. Editors hit better than 25 miles per gallon. The editors noted the Pentastar delivered “outstanding refinement and power.”

“Since the introduction of the Pentastar V-6 engine just 16 months ago, we have produced more than 900,000 engines for front- and rear- drive passenger cars, minivans and sport utility vehicles,” said Bob Lee, vice president and head of powertrain and electrified propulsion systems engineering, Chrysler group LLC. “We are continuing to look forward at adapting future technologies to the Pentastar V-6 as they become available for even more fuel efficiency and performance.”

Ward’s Ten Best Engines 2011
Engine| Test Vehicle(s)
3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6| Chrysler 300S/Jeep Wrangler
3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6| Audi A6
2.0L N20 Turbocharged DOHC I-4| BMW Z4/528i
3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6| BMW 335i Coupe
2.0L EcoBoost DOHC I-4| Ford Edge
5.0L DOHC V-8| Ford Mustang Boss 302
2.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-4| Buick Regal GS
1.6L DOHC I-4| Hyundai Accent/Kia Soul
2.0L Skyactiv DOHC I-4| Mazda3
3.5L DOHC V-6 HEV (Hybrid)| Infiniti M35h

from allpar

Yaayyyyy, one engine for everything :(

Exactly what we want

I actually test drove a new wrangler with this recently. To be honest I was let down even when going in with low expectations. It seemed like it was underpowered. No get up and go. Good luck passing with it.

From what I've read the new 3.6 produces 30 more horsepower with identical torque while getting better fuel economy than the 3.8 it replaced.

I may be v8 spoiled tho. Only engines I have owned. Wife has a 4.0 in her GC and its much more powerful feeling than the 2012 Rubicon I drove. It may be good when speaking more modern engines I don't know.

On paper the 3.6 should blow the doors off of the 4.0

The 1998 4.0 made 185 hp and 225 lb·ft of torque
The 2012 engine makes 285 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque

Attachments

• 2012-jeep-wrangler-infograph.jpg
    2012-jeep-wrangler-infograph.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 162
all i know is who wants teh same engine that comes in every other dodge or chrysler. i'm sticking with my straight 6 engines, bmw or jeep

If I had $33000 to spend on a Jeep I'd rather put it into my GC than buy a v6 Jeep. As my GC with its 5.2 already feels much beefier than the new Rubicon but with that kind of cash I think a hemi conversion and a 7" long arm lift would be better and cheaper than paying that much money. New Jeeps in my opinion are overpriced and they have too much flash and not enough functionality unless you pour even more money into it.

Back