TJ Drive Shaft

redwrangler02

According to the local auto mechanic, my front drive shaft bushing is worn out. My Jeep had been making a terrible squealing grinding noise for the past few weeks, only while moving, all was quiet if I sat idle. When I took it in to have it checked out, the mechanic quoted me a price to replace the bushing. I went back in to have him fix it, and an hour later he tells me that it was un-serviceable according to the Chrysler dealership and instead of just replacing the worn out bushing, I had no choice but to replace the entire front drive shaft. Is this correct? I have to replace the entire front drive shaft to fix one worn out bushing? If so, how big of an issue is this? For the past few days the noise has disappeared, which I assume isn't good. 2002 Sport, I6, standard 5 speed trans.

According to the local auto mechanic, my front drive shaft bushing is worn out. My Jeep had been making a terrible squealing grinding noise for the past few weeks, only while moving, all was quiet if I sat idle. When I took it in to have it checked out, the mechanic quoted me a price to replace the bushing. I went back in to have him fix it, and an hour later he tells me that it was un-serviceable according to the Chrysler dealership and instead of just replacing the worn out bushing, I had no choice but to replace the entire front drive shaft. Is this correct? I have to replace the entire front drive shaft to fix one worn out bushing? If so, how big of an issue is this? For the past few days the noise has disappeared, which I assume isn't good. 2002 Sport, I6, standard 5 speed trans.

Take it to someone else. Unless the ends are damaged, the only time you need to replace a driveshaft is if you bend or break it. or add a lift ad need it longer. By bushing I'm thinking he means u joint. While I joints aren't worth servicing they can be replaced. Some have grease fittings but if it is making noise it's too late for that.

You could verify what is needed by simply twisting the driveshaft back and forth (engine off) and looking for movement. The shaft will turn a little but the play should be in the pumpkin and transfer case not the u joint.

Also check your axel u-joints, they will squeal sounding like angry sparrows.

Last edited:
Your mechanic is wrong, he's either ignorant of the repair or too lazy to do the work. The part needed for the rebuild is part number 404-0 on this page, the CV Centering Repair Kit 1210 Series . Local auto parts stores carry it or can order it.

Don't drive it until it's repaired, it is common to lock up after squeeling and it will destroy the transfer case.

Thank you guys for the info and heads up, I've been in Phoenix all week for training and haven't had a chance to respond. I will take another look this weekend and get back to you. How difficult of a repair is this? Would some step by step instructions be in a Haynes manual or online? I'm not the most auto repair inclined individual but I'd be willing to give it a shot if the repair isn't super involved.

It is not terrible. There are some good videos on how to remove and replace the driveshaft and u-joints. Even if it is on the axel.

Spicer makes good u-joints. Just FYI not all I joints are the same for a TJ. And TJ vs Rubicon are different. So be sure to get what is specific to your vehicle.

Back