Two weeks ago...

cewtwo

Hi Everyone!

Had some really fun trail rides the last two weeks. I wanted to share them with you.

7/3 - Georgia Pass - Took it from the Jefferson, CO side. The East side is the easiest side. The West side at the top is a really fun trail to take. Easy enough, but it appears really steep and formidable.

Took it to Highway 9 then aired back up and headed for Frisco, CO and Lunch. Ever try Q4U BBQ? Great little place with good food.

From Frisco, we went to Vail rest area and took Shrine Pass Road to Wearyman road. 4 land cruisers were coming off the trail (the last of a group of 12). Wearyman is fun due to narrow trail and 5 water crossings. We turned right at the end of Wearyman and took McAllister Gulch over to Camp Hale. McAllister is a fun trail with some very steep trail sections.

From Camp Hale, we went to Leadville for supper then back over McAllister to Shrine to I-70 and back to Denver.

7-4 - Redcone Pass. This is a truly fun steep trail with a definite pucker factor to it. Follow CR60 about 5 miles South of Grant, CO on US 285. There is branch off to Redcone a little ways up the trail. The lower 3 miles is very rocky. You climb pretty quickly. Following that is a narrow, steep, tree laden trail with some tight turns. Eventually you get to timberline and can see the additional elevations involved. You can get to the top of Redcone peak and get a phenomenal view. There is one section very high in elevation where you ride the ridge top with just enough room for the Jeep to pass. You can look down and watch as the sides dropp off very steeply to each side. The final downhill to Webster Pass is very steep. I suggest that you do not use your brakes on the way down. Instead, use your low range and first gear to slowly navigate the hill. It would not do to have the back end of your vehicle pass the front end on the way down. As is usual, the people at Webster Pass watching gave us a big cheer when we got down.

From Redcone, we went over to Radical Hill. This is a steep, rocky shelf road (at the top) that can get your heart thumping. We found a snowfield 1/2 way up that we winched across (others who do not beleive in 'Tread Lightly' used a go-around started by Quad riders). I'd rather pioneer it to encourage the snow to melt. From the snow field it is a climb up a very rocky trail. You really have to pick your line carefully and still expect to experience some rough riding. Further up the trail appeared to be covered with additional snow fields - go ahead and take it as it is clear. Toward the top the grade changes from 45 degrees to almost 60 degrees. There is a ninety degree turn near the top with an elevated drop off at the other side of the road at the turn. We turned, and was stopped by the trail. It was a nerve wracking experience to back up and find the line. With a bit of heart pounding excitement, we turned the corner and proceeded up to the top. Near the top we started honking the horn to releive some of that heart-pounding excitement. The group of people at the top shared the excitement with us.

We took CR5 down toward Montezuma, CO, but turned back onto the Webster Pass road. We returned to Webster Pass. We headed down the East side via Upper Handcart Trail. At the top, there was a snow field that was cut through. High walls of snow on both sides as we turned onto the trail. Upper handcart is fun due to it being a shelf road with very narrow areas and pretty severe cambers.

It was a great weekend for enjoying the back country with the Jeep and friends!

Sounds like a blast and that was a good report. I felt like I was right there! I will say it again, some day I will get out there. Colorado is loaded with some of the best trails in the country. My favorite place on earth.

Back