Pre Order - Quick Release Extinguisher Mounts

Center-Axis

3-1/4" Quick Release Fire Extinguisher Mount
www.center-axis.com

• Innovative design eliminates the need to release, or remove, additional pins or latches before you can remove the fire extinguisher saving valuable seconds in the event of a fire.
  • All aluminum construction keeps weight to a minimum while maintaining the strength necessary to ensure that it's right where it should be when you need it.
  • All hardware is 18-8 Stainless Steel to prevent corrosion making it perfect for use in boats, 4x4s, and other situations where it is exposed to mother nature.
If you have an existing fire extinguisher that you plan on using, you will want to measure it first. If your existing extinguisher is not 3-1/4", or if you need to buy an extinguisher, you can purchase one on Amazon pretty cheap. We recommend the Kidde FA110 extinguisher with this mount because it is DOT and U.S.C.G (Coast Guard) approved, and we have verified that the dimensions are in fact 3-1/4" as advertised. As of 11/20/2013, they are currently $18.98 which is a heck of a deal. There are quite a few other 3-1/4" diameter extinguishers out there so you do not have to use the Kidde if you have other preferences. Please note that we are not sponsors for Amazon or Kidde.

The mounting base will be completely hole free to allow you the most flexibility in mounting options. You can bolt it down to flat surface, or to a roll cage by using U-bolts if you desire.

As previously mentioned, this is a pre order sale, and we do not currently have inventory ready to ship. All of the vendors are lined up, and as soon as enough orders have been placed to cover the initial manufacturing costs, manufacturing will begin. Based on the orders that have already been placed, we expect to be able to begin manufacturing in approximately 2-3 weeks. Once the manufacturing process has begun, we expect, but cannot guarantee, to be shipping product roughly 6-8 weeks later. In order to compensate the Jeepz members for the long lead times, you can use the coupon code "JEEPZ", "Jeepz", or "jeepz" during your checkout to receive a discount of $15.95 for each quick release mount that you purchase on our website www.center-axis.com. Feel free to share this discount code with others as well. The quicker we receive orders, the quicker we can begin shipping. Once we have received enough pre orders to begin manufacturing the coupon code will no longer be available, and we will post in this thread to let everyone know when the pre order sale has ended.

Below is a couple of 3D renderings of the quick release from the design files. This has been rendered to represent the final product as accurately as possible.

The video below is of the prototype which has been clamped into a vise for testing and demonstration purposes.

If you have any questions, please ask away.

Product Liability Disclaimer and Warranty Information

The end user (which may be the owner, purchaser, installer of the product, or other entity) assumes ALL responsibility for the use, design, functionality, and installation of this product, as well as any injury, impairment, or death that may be attributed to the product in any way. The acceptance of this agreement between the manufacturer (Center Axis LLC) and the end user is made, and agreed to, by the end user and the manufacturer at the time that payment, or any other form of agreed to compensation is made to the manufacturer (Center Axis LLC) in return for the product.

Every application and installation is unique and cannot possibly be tested by the manufacturer to verify that the installation and operation is suitable for the end users intended purpose or use. The method of installation, orientation, and location of this product are all factors that MUST be considered. When mounting in/on any vehicle, of any type, there is always a risk of injury to the operator or passengers due to loose objects in/on the vehicle in the event of a collision or due to rough terrain. It is extremely important that ALL factors are taken into consideration when installing this product to ensure that if the product fails, the operator and/or passengers cannot be injured in any way as a result of the product failure.

Extreme caution should be used when operating or handling the product as it contains many pinch points and a very heavy spring which could be capable of breaking or severely injuring your fingers, hands, etc. Do NOT let your children play with the clamp.

Warranty parts or product replacement will be handled on a case by case basis. Every product is checked and inspected prior to shipping to verify functionality. However, in the event that you feel that you require warranty service or replacement, please send me a PM within 30 days of receiving your product.

Manufacturing of the quick release clamp is underway, and is progressing according to schedule. The custom extrusion for the clam halves is expected to be delivered mid January, and the mounting bases are complete and ready to go.

Here is a pic of the bases I received back from laser marking this afternoon.

I like the look of this. Do you know how it mounts to the Jeep? Are there one or more holes in the flat part of the base that you simply run some bolts through?

I'd like to mount my extinguisher on the floor between the driver seat and the door of my Jeep TJ, and this looks like a great option.

Last edited:

Terry,

The flat part of the base does not have any holes drilled in it to provide the most flexibility for the person installing it. It is very easy to disassemble the clamp, drill the holes where you need them for your application, then install the base, and reassemble the clamps into it. The holes will have to be drilled closer to the outside edges to clear the clamps when it is in the closed position though. A diagram that shows the recommended areas to drill in will be supplied with the clamps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Brian

I visited the machine shop yesterday afternoon and took a look at the extrusion. I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. Due to their backlog of work, it doesn't appear that they'll be able to get started on the machining until the end of next week though. Once it is done, the parts will be tumbled and anodized which looks like it will take another week or two after machining. Right now I'm thinking that by the time we are able to assemble, package, and ship it will be somewhere around the middle to the end of February. I have decided that once we have all of the manufacturing done, the $69 price will no longer be available so if you are planning on ordering, make sure you get it done before we start to ship them.

Here's a picture I took of the extrusion yesterday.

I validated the first set of clamp halves at the machine shop this morning and they did a great job with running the first parts. They are going to finish running them today and tomorrow. I should be able to pick them up in the afternoon. I expect that the anodizing will take 1 to 1-1/2 weeks so we should be shipping around the end of this month to the first week of March.

All of the clamp halves are at the anodizer and are supposed to be ready for pickup by Friday afternoon. We should have them all assembled and ready to ship by Monday morning. This will be the last friendly reminder that the $69 price will be increasing once I start shipping on Monday morning.

Does anyone have any installed pics yet? I'd love to see them. Just as a reminder to those looking to purchase now, the new price is $74.95 + $11.30 shipping, total $86.25 for 1 mount.

Since nobody else has posted any install pics yet, I though I would kick it off with my install, which happens to be the reason this entire project began almost 2 years ago. For those who aren't aware of how this began, I made a prototype of this mount to install my extinguisher in my RX7, and due to the immediate interest that everyone who saw it had, I never got around to installing it in my car. I was constantly using it to develop a production version, and never even got around to making the seat mount I wanted to use with it so that it would always be in the same spot (in relation to the seat position) regardless of where the seat was adjusted to. I spent a few hours yesterday and today fabricating up the seat mount portion, and tested the fit. Next time I have some parts anodized, I'll pull it back out and anodize it black as well. Here's the bracket, partially cleaned up. Mounted to the seat. Extinguisher mount installed. Back in the car. Just in case you're wondering what the rest of the car looks like, here's a shot from the Hooter's car show...

I just want to mention to everyone that when you are reassembling your quick release fire extinguisher mount, after mounting the base, the red spacers should have the chamfer facing in the direction that you will be inserting the shoulder bolt from. It doesn't matter which way they are facing for functionality, but it will make it a lot easier to reinstall the shoulder bolts.

I want to give everyone here fair warning that the price will be increasing again due to a recent development. I met with the owner of the 4x4 Outpost in Moab, UT this afternoon and he was really excited about the quick release extinguisher mounts. As of today, they have mounts in stock and they are now officially a retailer for the quick release mounts. Because of this, I must increase my price so that he has room for profit. It would be very bad business for me to continue selling at a cost less than his retail.

Everyone here on the forum has been truly great, and I am very thankful for your support and confidence in this product so that I could bring it to production. As a thank you to the forum members here, I will continue selling the mounts for $75 through the end of March to allow those of you who were waiting on reviews, feedback, or whatever it may be, time to get their order in. The new price which has yet to be determined will become effective on April 1st. Yeah, yeah, I know that's April fools day, but this is not a joke :)

Thank you again!

-Brian T.

For those of you interested in a solution for mounting the quick release mount to a 1.75" roll bar, I will very likely be doing a small run of these tube clamps in the coming weeks. Just like the quick release extinguisher mount, they will be anodized aluminum, and the hardware is all stainless steel. These can be used to mount your extinguisher either vertically or horizontally on a 1.75" roll bar. If you are careful about drilling your holes in the base of the extinguisher mount, and follow the dimensions that I will provide with these, then you can easily unbolt them from the extinguisher mount and rotate them 90 degrees to change the orientation if you change your mind down the road.

So far it is looking like they'll go for roughly $30-$35 for a set of 2. If you are interested, and would like to have a set, please let me know ASAP.

I realize it is awfully short notice, but I will also be making a 2" roll bar kit to work with the quick release mounts specifically for Jeeps. If you're interested, let me know ASAP. Manufacturing will begin on Monday for these kits.

As promised, the machine shop just let me know the roll bar kits were ready to be picked up. Since I'm still out of town, I've got someone going to pick them up for me as we speak, but they won't be able to deliver them to the anodizers for me until Monday. I'll post up some pics as soon as I have them.

-Brian T.

I can't believe I never posted the pics of the finished roll bar kits for you guys. I apologize, but here they are.

1.50" Roll Bar Kit

1.75" Roll Bar Kit

2.0" Roll Bar Kit

2.0" Kit Installed

Back