Installing new lock cylinders in Jeep hardtop doors

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I purchased my used hard doors for my Jeep CJ-7, and they did not come with a key. After shopping around the local auto parts store for some time, I was able to find a match that allowed me to rekey my doors.

Last edited:

Step 1

This is the door that I installed the locks in In looking for replacement locks, I couldn't find any for Jeep vehicles, so I went to Trak Auto and bought the Ford Door lock set DL15900. This is just a standard Ford door lock kit that looked a lot like my Jeep locks​

Attachments

• lock2.JPG
    lock2.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 5,293
  • lock3.JPG
    lock3.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 4,537
Last edited:
Step 2

The first thing that you need to do is take off the door handles and the windows crank, then pull on off the door fabric. You can get this off by
starting in one corner and pulling on it all the way around until it pops out.

Attachments

• slock7.jpg
    slock7.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 4,495
Step 3

Having removed the door fabric you will need to remove the metal plate with several screws to get access to the door lock components

Attachments

• slock8.jpg
    slock8.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 4,590

Step 4

Once you have everything off, you need to find the bar that connects the lock to the latch assembly

Attachments

• slock9.jpg
    slock9.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 5,490
Step 6

Now you need to slide off the C-clamp that is on the lock, this will allow you to pull the lock out of the outside of the door. This clamp is pretty hard to see, it's tucked back in there pretty good.

Attachments

• lock11.JPG
    lock11.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 4,665

Step 7

Once you have the lock out you need to remove the C-clamp on the top that holds on the door hardware

Attachments

• lock4.JPG
    lock4.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 4,554
Step 8

You will need to use pliers and break off the little piece of metal on the new lock (remember, this is a Ford lock). This should allow you to put the small door clip back on the lock, with the C-clip, then place it back in the door.

Attachments

• lock6.JPG
    lock6.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 4,048
Back