Subwoofer inside of a Jeep Wrangler rear seat

Cut a hole

You really don't want anything making contact with your subwoofer while it's moving, so I cut a hole in the carpet under the jeep seat to accommodate it.

Attachments

• done_wrangler_subwoofer.JPG
    done_wrangler_subwoofer.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 26,552
Last edited:
Notching the bar

Now, before you can zip the seat up, you have to use your grinder once again. This time you'll be cutting the bar that attaches the seat to the floor. You can see in the first photo how the new box keeps the bar from attaching correctly. Just cutout the section you see in the second photo.

Attachments

• notch_bar_1_wrangler_subwoofer.JPG
    notch_bar_1_wrangler_subwoofer.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 5,242
  • notch_bar_2_wrangler_subwoofer.JPG
    notch_bar_2_wrangler_subwoofer.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 18,982

Finished

That's it! Just take your time and zip the seat back up and you'll be ready to tick off the neighbors and walk around saying "huh? I can't hear you" all day long.

Last edited:
hey man that is awesome i have never seen it down that way. does it only work with shallow mount subs i have a 12 with about a 6.5" mounting depth. how much room was under there. o and where do you have ur amp located. later

You have to have a shallow mount sub. I only had about 0.5 inches to spare with my shallow mount 10.

question,,, would this write up work with earlier tj's specificals 1997...? my back seat looks diff than yours, thanks!

Great install i have a couple questions tho, first one is where did you put your amp? ,second is would it fit a 1997 wrangler sahara?, and the third is would any one be able to sit in the seat? Thanks

Great install i have a couple questions tho, first one is where did you put your amp? ,second is would it fit a 1997 wrangler sahara?, and the third is would any one be able to sit in the seat? Thanks

Thanks. I never mounted my amp anywhere. I had big plans, but I never got around to doing anything. Right now the amp is just laying behind the rear seat.

My Jeep is a 2005, and I believe the back seat came from a 2000 Wrangler. This design should fit all TJs.

As for sitting on the seat, sure - there's no reason that someone couldn't sit on the seat. The MDF is very strong, and braced well. I can't tell the difference between stock and mine, but I've never been on a 4 hour ride in the back seat - I'd imagine that it won't be as soft over rough ground.

hands down the coolest do-it-yourself mod idea ever. great work as usual man, inspiring. all of your how-to's really make me wish i was more of a do-it-yourselfer or that you lived close to me to give me a hand.:lol:p0p

hands down the coolest do-it-yourself mod idea ever. great work as usual man, inspiring. all of your how-to's really make me wish i was more of a do-it-yourselfer or that you lived close to me to give me a hand.:lol:p0p

Heck, I had never done anything like this before. It ended up being hard work, but it turned out great, and it really feels good to know that I built it myself.

Nice mod but I have a few questions. Is it possible to mount two 10" subs, or have 1 sub and recess the amp into the other side while maintaining the integrity of the seat? How much time and money do you think you invested in this? Thanks!

Nice mod but I have a few questions. Is it possible to mount two 10" subs, or have 1 sub and recess the amp into the other side while maintaining the integrity of the seat? How much time and money do you think you invested in this? Thanks!

You could to 2 10's, or even 3 8's in this box. You'd be hard pressed to put a 12 in though - unless you made it deeper.

I'm a pretty bad woodworker - this was probably the first serious project I had ever done, so I guess I put 10 - 15 hours into it (just a guess). The box was cheap - just to large pieces of MDF, glue, screws, and the like - probably under $100.

How many watts is your amp? And what kind of modifications would you have to do in order to put it into a YJ.. thanks and great job..

I'm not really sure how many watts my amp is, it's not labeled. As far as putting it in a YJ, you'd just need to have the box be a slightly different shape.

ok.. well i was putting together my box (i have two ten inch subs) and he kept asking me if i accounted for driver displacement and did the recommended cubic foot enclosure.. did you do any of this..??. sorry if i am being a bother about this whole thing..
thanks, len

yeah.. i was just making sure.. i already have the subs, amp and wiring.. i was just making sure.. haha.. thanks again..

Back