Subwoofer inside of a Jeep Wrangler rear seat

my friend has a kicker 12" sub in his civic and knows a reasonable amount about car audio and told me that the slim speakers are more for rock and dont hit the low notes he said if you play a rap song with low notes it wont produce good quality do you think this is true?

Does anyone know if this idea is feasible for a 2-door JK?

I've never seen one built, but that's just because I've never been in a JK. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Great work building it, looks and sounds great. I'm planning to try and replicate it, my jeep got broken into, so this a great stealth sub. Have you thought about mounting the amp inside the box? I was thinking of doing this, I'm not sure if it will have any impact on the sound or not..

Can you tell me the name of the song that's playing on your video?
That's some cool tunes..........

Thanks,
Rod

I originally planned on mounting the amp inside the box, as these subs don't require much airspace - you could do half sub, and half amp. I ended up not doing that because my old amp is huge, and there's no way it would have fit.

The song is A little bit more by Jamie Lydell
Amazon.com: Multiply: Jamie Lidell: Music

Gotcha. Your sub is a 10" right? What kind of AMP did you have running in there? Do you know the wattage and how many channels? Just curious. Sounded really nice, I could see the sub really handling it well.

Thanks for the info.

Where did you mount your amp and crossover?

Thanks

I don't have a crossover (my head unit has subwoofer controls / crossover built in). I never ended up mounting my amp - it's sitting on the floor behind my seat. I always meant to do something with it, but never got around to it.

Question to the OP, why'd you opt to put one sub? Is there a disadvantage to mounting two 10" subs in such a tight spot?

I'm considering doing this mod with two Pioneer 10" shallow subs you mentioned earlier. I was gonna power it with something like this:

http ://w ww. crutchfield.com/p_098CO5001/Orion-Cobalt-CO500-1.html

Would you buy that, or is there another brand I should look for?

From what I read, if I wire the subs parallel, then at 4 ohms a piece @ 250 watts RMS, then a mono amp putting out 250 watts at 2 ohms should work... Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
just did my install of this, I did a little bit change to the box I have an 02 tj, made the box 24 x 13 inches, and installed a 12 inch kenwood sub with a 600 watt amp, sounds great thanks for the info

just did my install of this, I did a little bit change to the box I have an 02 tj, made the box 24 x 13 inches, and installed a 12 inch kenwood sub with a 600 watt amp, sounds great thanks for the info

Very cool - post some photos of the install when you get a chance

It was fairly easy to put together, sorry it took so long for the photos but all in all it took me about 6 hours to do, that is with runs to the store for supplies and buying the amp and the woofer

Attachments

• DSC00076.jpg
    DSC00076.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 2,185
  • DSC00079.jpg
    DSC00079.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 3,801
  • DSC00080.jpg
    DSC00080.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,370
  • DSC00081.jpg
    DSC00081.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 17,198
  • DSC00083.jpg
    DSC00083.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 18,358
Last edited by a moderator:

I bought I slim sub woofer, so the depth was 3 and 1/4 inches, width of 13

I bought I slim sub woofer, so the depth was 3 and 1/4 inches, width of 13

Hey looks great, you said that you have a shallow mount kenwood woofer, 3 1/4 deep. I have a rockford fosgate 12" w/ top mounting depth of 3 5/8" do you think it is possible to add 1" to the depth of the box. I understand this will make it not possible to zip the bottom carpet back on and will probably have to raise the seat some, but besides that do you think it would work??? Thank you, appreciate any help on this....Kenny

Nice work fellas!! I've been fumbling around trying to figure out where to mount a sub as well as the amp. This DYI'er along with

community.webshots.com/album/63423573sSraTy?start=0

sorry, but I don't have enough posts to add links... I'm a newbie.

lead me to this conclusion. I may actually mount an 8" sub in the armrest and mount the amp under the rear seat as described in this thread. Being as though the amp won't fit in the armrest I think this may be a nice option. Has anyone else seen the armrest sub enclosure from Doug? Everything would be completely out of sight.

Back