Subwoofer inside of a Jeep Wrangler rear seat

Good stuff. Here's my version.

Finished today. Sounds and looks great!

My wife's 1998 TJ has a little different seat configuration than those seen here already. Not too bad. A redesign of the box was required.

Pics with descriptions. Plans not updated and posted yet.

Check it out here: upstairsroom.net / jeep / in-seat-subwoofer

Last edited:

Hey man do u think two kicker cvt 10's would work with this. I already have the subs and would love to try this I'm just not sure if they would fit or have enough air space for them. They have a mounting depth of 4 1/4. And require .4 to .8 cubic feet if airspace.

Hey man do u think two kicker cvt 10's would work with this. I already have the subs and would love to try this I'm just not sure if they would fit or have enough air space for them. They have a mounting depth of 4 1/4. And require .4 to .8 cubic feet if airspace.

That would be a tight fit if it did work. My sub only required 3 inches of mounting depth.

a couple of possible issues with that. The air volume and mounting depth. I know HOW to calculate the volume, but any design changes from one to another setup would require re-calculation. I don't even what mine finally calculated out to, but it was enough/not-to-much. As for the mounting depth, you can adjust that a bit. If it's not deep enough, you can add an extra thickness to the outside of the box ( as shown in one of the other builder's plans from his website) where the speaker will mount. This will bring the magnet away from the bottom (or in this case, the top) of the box. You should still be able to get it all under the carpet covering it you don't build it up too much. This of course does not add volume to the box... Making entire box a half-inch deeper would help, but is that enough? don't know.

Well thanks guys I may give this a try in a couple months. My woodworking skills aren't the best by any means. But I may make a run at it.

Wow I would never have thought of doing this. I have a few questions though. After everything is said and done can people still sit on the seat? How Exactly do you install the box into the seat?

Wow I would never have thought of doing this. I have a few questions though. After everything is said and done can people still sit on the seat? How Exactly do you install the box into the seat?

People can still use it. I've removed some of the foam, so the seat is alittle firmer than stock, but still perfectly usable.

To see how it's done just start at the beginning of the thread.

Awesome thread bro! Glad to see the hobby hasn't died just yet.
I, on the other hand, opted to ditch the rear seat altogether...how else would I get 4 tens in there right lol.

1997 jeep tj, fiberglass, rubn1out

Attachments

• 100_4161.JPG
    100_4161.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 3,583
  • 100_1925.JPG
    100_1925.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 18,961
  • 100_1847.JPG
    100_1847.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 1,816
  • 100_1844.JPG
    100_1844.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 13,793
  • 100_1819.JPG
    100_1819.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,909
I'm in the middle of this build and it seems that my 10" pioneer shallow mount (3" depth) will need about 1/4" of additional depth on the downward slope side of the box.

Rather then add a spacer under the speaker ring, i'm contemplating just modifying the low side of the angle to begin at 7/8" instead of 1/2". It seems that this would increase the internal volume by about .05^3 ft and also allow the sub to fit with a tiny bit of extra space for the magnet. (about 1/8" clearance on the slope side)

Did you need to add a spacer ring to get your shallow mount sub to fit? Any thoughts on whether the additional 3/8" of depth on the short side would cause a fitment issue? The deepest part of the box remains unchanged, and it seems to me like the only sacrifice is a bit of comfort.

Re: Notching the bar

Now, before you can zip the seat up, you have to use your grinder once again. This time you'll be cutting the bar that attaches the seat to the floor. You can see in the first photo how the new box keeps the bar from attaching correctly. Just cutout the section you see in the second photo.

Would you be willing to build another similar box for a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited? I would be willing to pay you for the box and mounting. Please let me know.

Would you be willing to build another similar box for a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited? I would be willing to pay you for the box and mounting. Please let me know.

Sorry, I enjoyed building mine (more of a learning experience than anything else), but I'm not looking to build another.

You should really try to do it yourself. I had never done any woodworking before this, and I didn't find it overly hard. The money you'll save would allow you to buy some tools that you could use on other projects.

Sorry, I enjoyed building mine (more of a learning experience than anything else), but I'm not looking to build another.

You should really try to do it yourself. I had never done any woodworking before this, and I didn't find it overly hard. The money you'll save would allow you to buy some tools that you could use on other projects.

Send me your seat and exactly what you want done to it.

Trail and Street Customs
1301 Cherokee lane
Bel Air Maryland

I just finished my custom subwoofer box! Thanks to TerryMason for the step by step instructions. Here is my final picture!

N8

Attachments

• after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 19,145
You could put two subs into a TJ back seat. As to your 4 door, it depends - I know TJs can, but I'm not sure about JKs.

Could u do that to a 4 door wrangler with 2 shallow mount subs:?: thanks.

I dont see why not? You would probably need to customized the box a little to fit the frame. The only thing to really consider is the airspace that you would need for the sub(s). I was going to put 2 12" subs in, but didnt have quite enough airspace.

Back