Subwoofer inside of a Jeep Wrangler rear seat

A lot of work, but came out great. Installed 2 8" subs, and 4 channel amp mounted in insta trunk.

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39

I have a boss self-amplified woofer similar to this:
http : / / www . sonicelectroni x . com / item_44123_Boss-BASS1400 . html
Would it be possible to do this project with this?

I have a boss self-amplified woofer similar to this:
http : / / www . sonicelectroni x . com / item_44123_Boss-BASS1400 . html
Would it be possible to do this project with this?

With something like that you don't need to build the box. I am not sure if you can mount that in the seat or if it needs to be ventilated. It does not need any ventilation, i think you could just cut the crossbars, remove the foam, and set it in there.

With something like that you don't need to build the box. I am not sure if you can mount that in the seat or if it needs to be ventilated. It does not need any ventilation, i think you could just cut the crossbars, remove the foam, and set it in there.

I'd be nervous about mounting an amplifier inside of a block of foam. That amp needs airflow - you would likely burn up the amp, the foam, or both.

Now if you could mount the box such that the amp was exposed on the bottom you'd probably be OK.

Terrymanson, Can you please post sound clips to hear how it sound?

You can get an idea of how it sounds from the initial youtube video. I only have a point and shoot camera, so you really can't get that good a feel for it.
It sounds really nice, but at the end of the day, it's a single 10 inch subwoofer.

You can get an idea of how it sounds from the initial youtube video. I only have a point and shoot camera, so you really can't get that good a feel for it.
It sounds really nice, but at the end of the day, it's a single 10 inch subwoofer.

Thanks man, I will surely check it out!

Re: Removing the foam

I just finished this job with two ten inch subs and it worked great!! I couldn't have asked for better results!

Re: Removing the foam

Subscribed, definitely doing this...been looking for an alternative to the stock location due to size limitations and this is perfect as I hate to lose what little room we have in our TJ's.

I've read every post before asking the following question... I see you made 3 holes on bottom of box but only mounted one subwoofer. Are there two others that we cant see or is the 3 holes for a 3 sub demonstration but you were just doing 1 sub?

I've read every post before asking the following question... I see you made 3 holes on bottom of box but only mounted one subwoofer. Are there two others that we cant see or is the 3 holes for a 3 sub demonstration but you were just doing 1 sub?

There was space for two 10" subs, but not three. Take a look at the first couple of posts again (there was a glitch for the forum software, and many photos were missing - it's fixed now). For me, one sub was great.

Nvm my first question I saw it as soon as I made the post. New question, you said that you used 3/4 mdf board but the cut plans are for 5/8 mdf. Did you adjust the cut dementions or leave them the same. If you adjusted them do you have the adjustments?

Uberskier,
I can't remember exactly what size I used (it's been 10 years), however if I was doing it over today, I'd use 5/8. The only downside of this box is that it's very heavy, and the once a year that I remove my back seat is a pain. you'd do well with 5/8 MDF.

Terry will I be able to mount 2 10” subs? Without sacrificing sound quality. I’ve read that enclosures like the one that you’ve done degrade the sound quality. My subs are expensive and want it to perform at its full potential. That’s what’s stopping me from starting this project. Thoughts?

also, I have a 5ch amp. Where would you mount this?

Back