Extended Wrangler Spare Tire Bump Stops

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
When installing a larger spare tire you often have to use a spacer in order for the tire to fit. Once you've gotten the tire mounted on the tailgate, you’ll notice that the factory spare tire bumps no longer make contact (and support) the spare.

01Jeep_Wrangler_oversize_spare_tire_factory_stops.jpg

While this may not seem like a big deal sitting in the driveway, once you get on interstate and hit a few bumps, you'll see your spare tire moving all over the place. If you don't correct this your tailgate will eventually be ripped off the Jeep. Luckily it's fairly easy to correct this. You'll need a length of PVC from the local hardware store, and some longer bolts for your bump stops.

02pvc-pipe.JPG

Measure the current gap between your factory bump stops and the tire, and add about a ¼ inch to that. Now, cut of three sections of PVC. I went ahead and sprayed them black, but this is optional.

03-PVC_Jeep_spacers_cut.jpg

Now, pull your spare tire off.

04-wrangler_spare_tire_removed.jpg

And remove the existing bump stops. There should be two on the tailgate (to the sides) and one on the body (at the bottom). Now, you'll need longer bolts. I ended up taking my factory bolts to the hardware store and buying some that were longer (the same length as our original measurement). Be careful to get bolts will small allen heads, because a hex head won't fit into the factory bumpstop. Just push the new bolts into place, and mount up the three new bumpstops.

05-jeep-spare-tire-bumpstop.jpg

And the finished product:

06-extended-jeep-spare-bump-stop.jpg

Last edited:

I've been looking for a solution to this problem.... hockey pucks weren't quite thick enough
Thanks for posting

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Jeepz

Terry,
Could you please tell me what the size of the screws is and how long these spacers are??? I was thinking about making them out of aluminum and make them adjustable lenghts for different tire sizes. Since you made yours out of PVC I wil like to make you a complimentary set out of Aluminum. If you want to, you can PM with the dimensions. Thank you.

Terry,
Could you please tell me what the size of the screws is and how long these spacers are??? I was thinking about making them out of aluminum and make them adjustable lenghts for different tire sizes. Since you made yours out of PVC I wil like to make you a complimentary set out of Aluminum. If you want to, you can PM with the dimensions. Thank you.

That sounds like a great idea, but I think that you'll end up having to stock around 10-20 sizes.

The reason I say that is the distance from the body to the wheel depends on a few things, such as the backspacing on your rim, if you are running a spacer (I have a teraflex spacer to move the spare away from the body), and the size of the tire (I have 10.5 tires, but a 12.5 would be different).

The bolts have the same problem, since you can only screw the bolts in around 1/2 inch before they bottom out, you have to buy bolts specific to your setup.

Having said all that I can send you the measurements when I get home for my specific setup. I had to mail order the bolts, since they have a small hex key cap on them.

Thanks for the great idea Terry

I extended my spare tire bump stops, cost less than $8 :piratenanner:

I used 1 1/2'' pvc pipe $2.68
photobucket-1970-1336340812088.jpg

bought M6 x100x50 and M6x100x65 bolts (about $2.50 a pack the shorter bolts were 4pk and the longer were 2pk
photobucket-10880-1336340837543.jpg

and cut a slot in them so I could use a flathead screw driver on them
photobucket-25225-1336340868257.jpg

painted the pipe black
photobucket-24742-1336340894868.jpg

and the finished product
photobucket-20751-1336340939288.jpg

photobucket-16318-1336340957949.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading this I went out on Saturday and did it for my jeep. I used 4" quarter 20's and a fender washer since I didn't have a spot to screw it in for the bottom stop. It made a world of difference. No loud knocking on gravel or dirt roads anymore. Thanks for the post Terry

Back