$%&*ing Grand Wagoneer Fuel Sender!!!

Saurian

This could easily be viewed as one of those "why the hell didn't you fix it sooner" things, I acknowledge this, but we're not gonna go there, because I am the resident handyman for nearly all of freaking Metro Detroit, and worked a full time job; my time is limited, and this isn't even my Jeep...

Anyway...

Subject Vehicle: 1986 AMC/Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8 (half the parts of which will not be correct if you go to any major name auto store)...

Work Order: Among other things, locate source of scent of fuel, repair fuel gauge at earliest convenience...

One of those not too dire, I'm gonna get to it things... All of it adds up with the problems I found today... The Jeep has been wildly overconsuming fuel as of late, to the point that my brother ran out of gas in the driveway (took 4 people standing out in the cold, and me hopped up on Flexerol to figure that one out)... How this happened, I was not sure, because he faithfully fills that thing every 100 miles due to the malfunctioning fuel gauge. Besides that, even though it starts right up like a dream, recently it has been losing it's pickup, and stalling out every now and again for no apparant reason... The plot thickens... On his day off, my brother and his buddy Chris (reference MJ Christmas Party) decide to track down the source of fuel leak. Determination, it's at the top of the tank, and it's GUSHING fuel...

Obviously, it has gotten worse... So, this morning, I feel around, hoping to locate by touch a ruptured line, or a nice patch of rust or something... Nothing. Ok, Kyle, start it up and let's see this thing leak... It starts right up (love that thing), it runs, he revs, it runs, and all of a sudden, we have the Regular Unleaded Rapids splashing down the driveway... OK, definately a leak at the top of the tank... Hmm... Remove skidplate around tank, and I will be able to better inspect... Previous owner of Jeep apparantly had the same thoughts on original bolts as we all have, and put in his own, unfortunately, somehow meshing the fuel tank and the fuel skidplate into the same bolts... Ok, so much the better, the tank is moving gently down, it can't drop all the way because to do so, you have to remove the rear driveshaft (it has to come over and down at the same time to come off)... I shall have access to see what there is to see...

And then the fuel line slips off and falls to the ground... With the metal flare which it would clamp to still in it, or at least, I assume the collection of rust-flakes pressed into the end of the rubber line to be the remains of said flare... Well damn, one of two things has happened... Either a metal line has ruptured
image-missing.png
, or the metal flare off the tank has rusted through
image-missing.png

Hmm... No way to tell, that darned tank won't come down anymore, and I can't make out anything by touch for some reason, it all feels like a blob... And then I notice this little hatch. Pay attention to this part, if you take anything home from this... My first mistake was letting him read from the Haynes manual while I wrenched... What the heck is this thing, a cut out circle with screws coming off it, this is an access hole DIRECTLY above where I need to be! Oh, that's what this is, he says...

HUH?!? "Fuel sending unit access hole", he says... WHAT?!? Well look at that, you pop the rear seat up, you fold the original shag carpeting
image-missing.png
back, and there's a very nice little access hatch to get to the fuel sender... Interesting... This is my first experience with a mechanical fuel pump... But what I found, wow. Looks like there was a bit of a rusty leak problem before... And the fix involved either bathtub sealant or roofing caulk, something of that nature, all over the top of the sending unit. Not even JB weld. Not even duct tape. The sending unit itself is grounded to the fuel line... Hmm... The fuel line that goes into a RUBBER line... Amazing that. Bad ground usually makes a gauge peg, in my experience. Kyle's always driving with a perpetually full tank. And we've found the broken point of the fuel system. 2 problems fixed in one!!! Now I just need a new sending unit.

Here's a fun little game. Go to Murrays... Or NAPA, or AutoZone, or any of the big name chains, and here's what you say... I need a fuel sending unit for an '86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer... 360 V8, yep... Yeah, it's original. Oh yeah, woodgrain and everything... Thing's a freaking tank... Uh huh, starts right up... Then you wait while they type... And they say "This part is not available? Jeez, we can't even order this..."

Last resort is the junkyard... Still have a couple other tricks up my sleeve first, though...

Anyway, the moral of the story is, there is a little access hatch under the rear seat to access the fuel sending unit on the grand waggy. This is also the point where fuel is taken from, and redeposited into the tank through the fuel system.

image-missing.png

stupid access hatch
image-missing.png

The Follow-Up!!! *pics included*

Right then :)

Hunting all over the place for the Fuel Sending Unit was a totally fruitless endeavour, and I was beginning to think that I would have to go to either http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com, or http://www.bjsoffroad.com to find it. I didn't want to go this route, because I wanted to get the vehicle up and running ASAP, it is my brother's daily driver after all... I want to my friendly neighbourhood Jeep dealership, and found that not only could they get one next day, but it wasn't gonna cost me an arm and a leg. Sweet!!!

Here's where I started.
image-missing.png

If you follow the double rubber hoses to the front of the axle, you can see the gas tank merrily hanging in time and space... Well, I got to find out, those things are HEAVY!!!
image-missing.png

This was a little disaster I noticed while I was under there... Looks to be the trailer wiring hitch, I think there's about 8 connections in that disaster... Something to look forward to doing :cry:
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

I think we can see the problem... Totally rusted out.
image-missing.png

Aaahh... Much better :D

Before the installation and connection of the new fuel sending unit, the fuel gauge was perpetually sitting past full, nothing else.
image-missing.png

That.

It now appears to be fully operational, and reading properly to boot... One step closer to total vehicle restoration! Taking baby steps with this, due to a lack of funds, it being his only vehicle, and a slow learning process to pretty much everything we attempt, but everything is going well.

image-missing.png

The power behind the insanity!

Oh, umm... hee hee hee... :redface:

Yes, in point of fact, it is... Came like that, it did. We're getting to it... Still rides like a blasted cloud, though.

Back