1973 Jeep J-2000 4x4

Northman111

Ok peoples. I just got myself a barn find!! 73 J-2000. It has the 258 six engine & three speed trans. I need to know if stock leaf springs from a standard jeep will swap out? ( CJ maybe ) or will I need to go custom made.

Also wondering if the distributer can be converted over from point and condenser to a newer setup? Really need some input on this.

Attachments

• DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 6,112

Measure the truck spring's and compare them to a CJ's. If you don't have one to compare to let me know and I'll measure mine for you. As far as the distributor goes, if it will work you will have to get an ignition module also. How much did you give for J-2000? I gave $400 for my '66.

It was up for sale on Craigslist.com I traded a German Mouser model 98 for it!!!

It was a good deal. If your truck still has the stock springs, I would appreciate it. Because my truck is in storage about 244 miles North of me. Now I found a junk cj at the scrap yard and it has the 258 engine with a newer distributer in it and it is the non points deal, but not sure if it is Ford or Chevy or whatever?? I might be able to get all of it cheap!!! Where is the ignition module located??

I'll get the measurement's but I don't think your truck and mine share the same spring's. The CJ-7 is a 1978 and the front spring is 2" wide and from front to rear frame mount is approx. 43" (this is not including the shackle). The rear spring is 2.5" wide and from front to rear frame is approx. 44". The truck is a 1966 J-2000. The front spring is 2" wide and from front to rear mount is approx. 44". The rear spring is 2.5" wide and from front to rear mount is approx. 51.5". Look's like the front CJ spring's could work, but the rear will be about a foot short. If it was me, I would try to find a set of spring's from a salvage yard. The ignition module is plugged into the distributor and mounted on the inner fender, the last one I got came from wal-mart for about $15.

Ok peoples, I got a little bit newer distributor & coil & ignition module & partial wireing from a AMC hornet with the 258 engine!!! Now I have a few questions. #1 Can I buy the distributer cap adapter & cap like what Terry Mason has & mount that on this distributor? & #2 I also have a distributor out of a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 That does not have a vaccum advance!!! Can I swap that out with the same as above without the bigger cap & adapter??

Theres a lot more info on the older ones over at the Full Size forum. These guys have done it ALL. Come join, its free and you get responses a lot faster. My screen name is the same over there. you will also find like minded folks close to you....

Last edited:
Back